Talk

Advanced search

Is 4 months too early for own room?

(12 Posts)
anyname123 Tue 07-Feb-17 09:12:07

Any help appreciated. I know the guidance is 6 months, but I'm in getting desperate.
My DD sleeps well through the night, and sleeps through 80% of the time. The trouble is she is such a noisy sleeper. She whimpers / sneezes / wriggles etc, and every noise wakes me, leaving me knackered and not great during the day. Her room is right next to mine, so no chance I wouldn't hear her cry if she needs me, but I'm hoping that by not waking 20+ times a night I'd be a better parent by day, have more energy etc.
Has anyone done this before 6 months, and how did it go? TIA.

longtermsinglemummy Tue 07-Feb-17 09:15:17

My son went into his own room at 10 days, and my daughter was 5 weeks. It didn't do them any harm. We had the movement sensor alarm under the mattress. I'm a very light sleeper too and I can't deal with little sleep.

Bluntness100 Tue 07-Feb-17 09:19:31

I waited till the six months but to be honest she could have went in earlier. I then proceeded to have the baby monitor turned up so loud it was like sleeping next to darth Vader. I'd say go for it.

Heirhelp Tue 07-Feb-17 09:19:46

Yes. Until 6 months babies are unable to regulate their own breathing and can forget to breathe causing SIDS (cot death). By sleeping in a room with someone else they hear them breathe and remember to breathe.

dementedpixie Tue 07-Feb-17 09:20:19

I used earplugs and still managed to hear them cry before dh did

StrawberryShortcake32 Tue 07-Feb-17 09:27:09

DS was in his own room at 3 months. Sadly I didn't want him to but he outgrew his moses basket and we couldn't fit the cot in our room. We have a baby monitor that has sound and video plus the room temperature as well. Definitely put my mind at ease to have that.

welshweasel Tue 07-Feb-17 09:28:57

My DS is a really noisy sleeper. I moved him as far from my head as possible and wore really good silicone ear plugs, which worked brilliantly. The guidelines say 6 months, although there is some evidence that keeping baby in with you for a year is beneficial (we caved at 7 months although he still comes in with us if he's unwell). The risk is small though. I worried a lot about SIDS though (probably too much). movement monitors don't prevent SIDS by the way so that's not a great argument to use.

I'd give really good ear plugs a go and if that doesn't work then move her. Do you have a partner? Could you sleep elsewhere if your partner sleeps more deeply than you?

SpaceDuck Tue 07-Feb-17 09:29:51

I put my DS in his own room at 4 months, we all sleep so much better now. His room is right next door, he has an angelcare breathing monitor and a normal baby monitor so I can see and hear him still but things like shuffling around in bed or DP snoring don't disturb him anymore. I wish I'd done it sooner to be honest. FWIW I haven't followed all SIDS advice, DS has slept on his tummy since 3 weeks old and put him in his room early.

When I was looking up about why the guidelines say 6 months, it said that they can't regulate their breathing and that our breathing helps them. There were suggestions that putting a ticking clock in their room is meant to do the same thing. How true that is I don't know.

Also, does she have a dummy? According to SIDS advice, that's meant to help too as it keeps their airways open.

The guidelines and advice are just that, they're not strict policy that you must abide by. I would do whatever you feel is best, you are her mother and no one else can tell you what to do.

Frazzled2207 Tue 07-Feb-17 09:30:29

Both went into own room at 4months though rarely spent the whole night in there as they would be up several times and eventually in the bed with me.

Given the circumstances that sounds reasonable.

It's not an alternative to being in the same room but i found an anglecare movement sensor to be very reassuring.

indigo13 Tue 07-Feb-17 09:30:52

You would be increasing the risk of SIDS, not worth it.

welshweasel Tue 07-Feb-17 09:35:31

When weighing up decisions like this I always imagine the worst case scenario and think if that happened, would I be able to live with my decisions or would I blame myself for the rest of my life. Hence my rigid following of safe sleep guidelines, but less so about weaning, introduction of cows milk, sterilising etc. Everyone has access to the same info but we all assess risk differently so no one can tell you that it's all going to be ok just because they did it!

TheresABluebirdOnMyShoulder Tue 07-Feb-17 09:36:12

I wouldn't personally because of the SIDS risk. There will always be lots of people who will tell you anecdotally that their babies were in their own room from day one and they had no problems, but statistically the risk is greater. The number of deaths from SIDS has decreased quite dramatically since parents have been following advice such as sleeping in the same room so it has obviously had an impact. I pretty sure it's been proven that devices like Angel Care monitors do not have any impact on reducing instances of SIDS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now