Talk

Advanced search

6 month old bedtime and co sleeping

(4 Posts)
AprilShowers16 Sun 05-Feb-17 11:52:58

I have coslept with my 6 month old since 4 months when he went through a sleep regression. I don't mind cosleeping and like having him close to me so I can feed him easily (he usually wakes 4-6 times in the night). But I worry about how we will ever stop and whether I should start trying to get him to sleep in his cot again. I have a feeling that he would probably wake less to feed if he wasn't as close to me.

I have been trying an evening routine to get him to go to sleep in his cot, he will generally fall asleep about 7.30 but then wake up again any time from 20 mins to an hour later. He will then be fairly easy to resettle until about 9 when either I give up or he's too awake and we just get him up with us. He then goes to bed with me at 10-10.30 and usually goes to sleep very easily.

My questions are how much should I persevere with the evening routine and how and when should I start to move him back into the cot at night given that I'd prefer not to co sleep when he's a toddler.

My inclination is to be quite relaxed about it all but I am worried I'm making trouble for myself in the future and I would love to have my evenings back again. Stories and thoughts welcome smile

TheMasterNotMargarita Sun 05-Feb-17 11:57:04

No advice just to say me too.
I really stressed about it with my first and think I caused lots of problems by persevering so trying to be more relaxed about it this time.
But he'll be going to nursery in another 2 months and won't nap unless on me or in car/pram so nervous about how that goes.

AprilShowers16 Sun 05-Feb-17 12:00:46

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying not to stress about it as I know it won't be forever and as he's my first it isn't really a problem as I don't have other children to deal with. It's just hard when there is so much conflicting advice and so many methods etc. I just want to do what's best for him (and maybe get a bit of sleep or me time)

TheMasterNotMargarita Sun 05-Feb-17 12:07:49

I guess that's one piece of advice then...just do what suits you/works/makes life.easy.
I had lots of baby books last time and DH made me give them away as they were making me crazy.
It's been so much easier in many .ways this time as I'm more confident and know im not going to break the baby!
And I mn much more so you.realise you aren't in it alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now