Talk

Advanced search

My son is 4 months and still not sleeping in the night

(43 Posts)
cuddlebug Sat 04-Feb-17 07:36:16

I know it is probably normal but everyone I know who has a 4 month old now sleeps through the night except mine! He goes to bed between 9-10 after a bottle, wakes at 1, then 3.30, then again about 7 and then at 9... everyone I know with babies the same age as he is nownsleep right through from 9 til 7! sad he has not slept through once since the day he has been born and I am shattered! I need a good nights sleep, but I know being a mum that is almost impossible to achieve lol! One issue is that my OH snores so loudly in the night so I am wondering maybe that is waking my son up but I feed him cos I think it is hunger? (He is formula fed).

I was thinking about putting him in his own room because a friend of mine put her 10 week old daughter in her own room because every little sound she and her boyfriend made (from moving into the bed to maybe having a little cough, she would wake up), and she now sleeps through the night whereas before, she was constantly waking up because of the noise.

This sounds like my son, he is such a light sleeper and has sixth sense as well! If you go into the bedroom when he is asleep he just &&knows&& you're in there and he would wake up. Is 4 months still really is too young for him to be in his own room? I am thinking of a trial run but is that such a good idea? Thanks all xx

PotteringAlong Sat 04-Feb-17 07:39:29

It's completely normal. Google the 4 month sleep regression.

And if everyone says their babies sleep through they are lying to you flowers

ems137 Sat 04-Feb-17 07:40:02

My 16 month old doesn't sleep through the night 😂

4 months is way to young to guarantee sleeping through. My older 2 children were really easy babies and they didn't start sleeping through til just before 6 months.

The SIDS advice is to keep them in your room until 6 months so that's up to you.

elvislives2012 Sat 04-Feb-17 07:40:47

My children are two and four and still don't sleep thru the night!
Normal for babies not to sleep. They like to know you're there X

Minty82 Sat 04-Feb-17 07:43:20

DS will be three in April - still waiting for a full night's sleep...

Spudlet Sat 04-Feb-17 07:44:16

Totally normal I'm afraid. My DS went into his own room at about the same time (he was too long for his crib and the cotbed was too big for our room) and it made little to no difference. Sorry!

The 4 month sleep regression is on the way so all those sleeping through babies are likely to be more wakeful soon, if that helps?

DS does sleep through now, and his waking did get less and less frequent on the way to that, but he wasn't at 4 months. Do you have a partner who could get up in the night, at least for one or two nights so you can sleep? It's bloody hard if you're always the one getting up.

enchantmentandlove Sat 04-Feb-17 12:49:24

It's totally normal, and I think more uncommon for babies to be sleeping through at that age. I wouldn't personally move into their own room at that age because of the SIDS risk, but it's up to you. Dd is also a light sleeper (when she actually sleeps!), and seems to stir more when dh and I get into bed as well.

Pipsicola Sat 04-Feb-17 18:23:38

Yep as others had said it is uncommon for babies to sleep through at this age and it's not necessarily anything you are doing or not doing for this. My feeling is that sleeping through, just like other milestones, is something that babies do in their own time. My DD was 9 months which I think is still early compared to some.

Regarding the own room, as you will know SIDS guidance recommend no. I wonder if there is anything you can do to help baby stop being disturbed - we moved our cot away from the bed (it's a biggish room) so we weren't as close.

Can you get a break? If you are formula feeding could OH not do a night shift at the weekend and you sleep elsewhere. You would be amazed how much better you would feel with just one night of good sleep.

SheSparkles Sat 04-Feb-17 18:25:27

It's completely normal for competitive parents to tell great big porky pies about their baby's sleep patterns, cutting teeth and potty training!

minijoeyjojo Sat 04-Feb-17 18:32:26

Yep, another one who says this is completely normal. He's little, he needs feeding regularly. Make sure you sleep when you can and get your DH to take him at the weekends to give you some sleep.

Putting them in their own room early increases risk of SIDS which is why they recommend till 6 months.

I know the feeling where everyone else seems to have babies that sleep better than yours, but it changes. They'll have periods later where their babies don't sleep.

Tabitha1983 Sat 04-Feb-17 19:14:44

I think I'm on the fence with this 1!....my DD (now 3) was sleeping from 10-7 at about 3 months! And I'm not lying! However, DS now 13 weeks old is no where near that and I have a feeling will not be 'sleeping through' any time soon!.....so they're all different, and to not be sleeping through at 4 months is completely normal....however...at 4 months there's no reason baby should need a bottle at 10,1,3,7! He's either not getting all the calories he needs (ie milk intake) during the day, and is genuinely hungry, or he is just using milk as a comfort to get back to sleep. If I could drop one of those feeds during the night it would help you? You must be exhausted x

bikingintherain Sat 04-Feb-17 19:27:41

Why does anybody who says their baby sleeps through at 4 months considered a liar?!? Or is this just something that parents whose children don't sleep say in a jokey way?

OnlyEatsToast Sat 04-Feb-17 19:32:10

Not read the other replies but my son is nearly 4 YEARS old and still not sleeping through the night!!!!

EsmesBees Sat 04-Feb-17 19:35:27

I hardly know anyone with a 4 month old that slept through the night. That's still really young and their stomachs are tiny. My bfed DD didn't sleep through until 7 months.

dylsmimi Sat 04-Feb-17 19:37:54

Completely normal - their tummys at still small
Ds1 slept through at 10mths
Ds3 is 4 months too and last night was awake and feeding -
Sleep 8-11 then a feed
Sleep until 1.30
Awake and on off fresh from 1.30-4.30 ish (lost track) then awake about 6.45 and that was it for the day!!
He's breastfed so slightly different but not that much!!
You are still getting. Some sleep but please don't compare to everyone else. It will only make you tired and miserable!

Somehowsomewhere Sat 04-Feb-17 19:39:11

I don't know any 4 month olds who have slept through.
My 3 year old sleeps through as long as long as she's in my bed. The first time she slept through she was about 11 months, then it didn't happen again until she was 2. My 18 month old started sleeping through at 15 months and has done ever since, before that she was up 2-3 times a night every night.

dylsmimi Sat 04-Feb-17 19:39:14

onlyeatstoasr mine (ds2) too sad

OutandIn Sat 04-Feb-17 19:39:48

Mine was 3 years old - sorry!

SisterMoonshine Sat 04-Feb-17 19:41:14

We get up around 7 or before in our house, so I would call that 2 wake ups in the night. It's not easy, I know - but it is normal.

bikingintherain Sat 04-Feb-17 19:44:50

Ok well my first two (good sleepers) slept through at about 4 months. 3rd, very poor sleeper for much of her life slept through from 6 months after some gentle sleep training.

TheFirstMrsDV Sat 04-Feb-17 19:44:53

OP I have five children. I would consider four of them 'good' sleepers and none of them were sleeping through at 4 months. Not consistently.

I am sure there are 4 month olds that do. Anything is possible but its not something they 'should' be doing.

Branleuse Sat 04-Feb-17 19:47:29

4 months old is teeny tiny. I dont actually know anyone whose baby slept through that early. Mine were all over a year, and my eldest was 3 when he slept through. Come to think of it, my 10 year old still gets up in the night now often enough

MrsNuckyThompson Sat 04-Feb-17 19:59:33

People lie. Especially new mums about this stuff. God only know why, but it is like a compulsion.

I was always very honest about my son's sleep - if you are you'll find people open up and tell you the truth about what their kid is actually doing sleep wise!!

bikingintherain Sat 04-Feb-17 20:02:19

No not everyone MrsTucky! I really struggle with this attitude as it's simply not true.

I'm not lying, nor am I sure are the majority of my friends who tell me this.

bikingintherain Sat 04-Feb-17 20:03:38

* MrsNucky (I don't lie but I can't spell!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now