Talk

Advanced search

Is this normal

(2 Posts)
charley3005 Fri 03-Feb-17 06:34:54

My 8week old DD has been quite random with her sleep during the night, last week going 6 hours this week waking at 430 for a feed then back down until 9 which I know is good but today she went down at 12 woke up at 6 so I changed her anticipating her to want a bottle but she's gone back to sleep! During the day this never happens and I'm wondering if this is normal? Should I just leave her sleeping as she's obviously not hungry? Confused!!

FATEdestiny Fri 03-Feb-17 09:50:45

Assuming there are no issues with feeding or weight gain, yes just leave her.

It's a good habit to get into that you try to settle back to sleep before feeding in the night. I always give about 5 minutes to resetting with the dummy before deciding to feed.

If you're routined in the daytime (I don't know if you are?) then I'd try for longer, maybe 10 minutes, to resettle at 'unusual' night feeds. Whereas if it's a feed I am 'expecting', I may go straight to feed without trying to resettle.

Remembering though that needs and routines will change so even after attempted resetting, baby might still want a feed at unusual times in the night.

If you're not routines in the daytime yet (which is entirely reasonable at this age) then there will be a degree of unpredictability to nights as well. Baby will probably sleep better and be less hungry on nights following days with lots of frequent feeds and naps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now