Talk

Advanced search

Dropping naps- how long does it take?

(3 Posts)
Joneseygirl77 Wed 01-Feb-17 19:16:52

DD 2.10 is in the process of dropping her nap. She's is nursery 4 days and will tend to nap on 2/4 days but there is no set pattern at the moment. They do offer lie down/ quiet time but she won't always do it- depends on which of her friends are in. The problem is when she hasn't napped then it's an hour of tantrums leading up to bedtime. We try to put her down earlier to compensate but it's such a long and drawn out process due to her tantruming!

Can anyone give me any idea how long this lasts for? Nap dropping has been going on for 2-3mo now so I was hoping the end would be in sight!

FATEdestiny Wed 01-Feb-17 19:30:16

I established "quiet time" and moved nsod from bed to the sofa in the transition.

So I would lie toddler on the sofa with a blanket and insist on at least 1h of quiet time. It wasn't an option. Sleeping was a choice - sometimes he slept on the sofa during quiet time, other times he just watched tv.

But the days when he slept gradually became less frequent. The change from occassionally missing a nap to consistantly not needing a nap was probably 12 months. During all that time, quiet time was non negotiable.

isthistoonosy Wed 01-Feb-17 19:33:52

Dc1 there was very little transition time he dropped to one nap at 9 months just changed one day. From one to none took a could of weeks around 18 months but that was because we kept forcing him to nap.
Dc2 has been on one 20min nap for 6 months and is now gradually dropping, at 4/7 now but I expect it to take a long time to disappear completely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now