Talk

Advanced search

Won't nap

(10 Posts)
Cathrobs14 Wed 01-Feb-17 10:28:19

Hello

In need of advice as I'm feeling stressed! My baby girl is 5mobths and has gone from being a brilliant sleeper to being awful, she won't nap anywhere but my arms ? I Domanage on occasions to settle her in her cot but she will only sleep for 10mins, she's been in a good routine for months now but last 2weeks it's all changed, she has 4 9oz bottles 4 times a day and nothing at night as she dosnt seem to want it, does she need food ?

FATEdestiny Wed 01-Feb-17 13:47:22

Try making feeds more frequent.

I would try 3 hourly bottles through the daytime. If baby is still unsettled, move to 2h30m feeds or 2 hourly.

Cathrobs14 Wed 01-Feb-17 15:59:19

Really? I feel like I'm nervous to take we outbid routine she's been having her bottles at the same time of day for months now ? Will defiantly try it tho tank you

FATEdestiny Wed 01-Feb-17 16:33:13

You realise babies routines will change?

What a 2 month old needs is different to what a 5 month old and it will change again and again and again.

Calorific need changes - both in terms of how much they drink in one go and how frequently. Likewise sleep will change - again both in terms of low lobg naps are and how frequent they need to be. The changes are not linear either, needs will go up and down and back up again, as they progress through developmental stages.

9oz bottles are massive bottles for a 5 month old by the way. Yours must have a much bigger stomach capacity than most babies.

Usually, because of the limited size of baby's stomach, they get more calories not by having bigger feeds, but by having more bottles per day, so smaller gaps between feeds.

If your baby is having 9oz bottles at 7am, 11am, 3pm and 7pm (36 oz total), you could try:

- 8oz bottles at 7am 10am 1pm 4pm 7pm (40oz total)

- 7oz bottles at 7am 9am 11am 1pm 3pm 5pm 7pm (42 oz total - if these bottles are drained, make 8oz but keep as frequent)

In both these options you could add in an extra feed as you go to bed, say 11pm.

Cathrobs14 Wed 01-Feb-17 18:16:26

But she's happy with her feeds and dosnt really wake in the night she's normally asleep by 7.30 untill 6-30ish, it's that's she is so cranky in the day because she won't nap longer then 15 mins? Only in my arms. Thank you

user1484226561 Wed 01-Feb-17 18:19:13

she is sleeping incredibly well! 11 hours at night! thats amazing.. lots of children dont need daytime naps.. mine didn't. but they didn't sleep through the night either!

Cathrobs14 Wed 01-Feb-17 18:25:33

Sorry that's what it used it be like as if the last 2 weeks she's gone to be awful she will still settle for 7.30 but wakes at 2am and restless all night then , I have tried feeding but she didn't seem to want it , sleep regression ? I've red the more she naps in the day it's better for night time sleep however she won't nap,

FATEdestiny Wed 01-Feb-17 18:51:49

What do you do to get her to sleep?

Cathrobs14 Wed 01-Feb-17 18:53:43

in the cot on her side and gently Tao her back

FATEdestiny Wed 01-Feb-17 19:02:30

It might be worth trying a dummy. And in the daytime, a bouncy chair is great for daytime naps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now