Talk

Advanced search

Safe sleeping advice

(9 Posts)
hollymonster Tue 31-Jan-17 09:46:18

Hi all

My little girl is in her second week of life!

Currently trying to work out sleeping arrangements. I originally got a bednest and a sleepyhead but it's become quite clear she does NOT like to be on her back (possible reflux issues). You put her down and within seconds she is screaming, poor thing. Any advice on the following.

- co sleeping - she slept with me last night, following all the rules, and it was the best night for her yet. I felt very safe and didn't move position all night but am still being made to feel bad about this choice sad
- sleeping next to me in her bouncy chair - she sits in this in the daytime and is the only place other than my arms that she'll relax in. Possible dangers?
- car seat - I've been told this is a possible solution for reflux babies but again, dangers?

Hoping she will eventually be ok on her back, she currently likes to be on her front on my chest or on her side next to me

Thanks

datingbarb Tue 31-Jan-17 10:02:36

It's not unusual for a new born not to settle in crib straight away and will prefer to be cuddled/close to you.

If your think reflux I would get this addressed and dealt with them hopefully she will be more settled or could just be a case of wanting comfort from you.

Car seat/car isn't a good idea the position they are in could cut off there airway, safest place is on back

datingbarb Tue 31-Jan-17 10:03:08

Car seat/chair

gg96cgp Tue 31-Jan-17 10:06:16

You should also be careful allowing babies to sleep in bouncers. Best thing would be to address the potential reflux as datingbarb suggests.

YokoUhOh Tue 31-Jan-17 10:11:05

I co-slept with both of mine. It's how families survived for millions of years until we decided that babies should be in cots.

Read Three in A Bed by Deborah Jackson, and read up on safe Co-sleeping. Your baby will be fine, and you'll get more sleep. If you can breastfeeding lying down, this also helps! Good luck flowers

YokoUhOh Tue 31-Jan-17 10:12:12

PS if someone is making you feel bad about co-sleeping, tell them to get stuffed. Three In A Bed will give you plenty of ammunition!

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 31-Jan-17 10:32:35

You should be able to safely and securely raise one end of the Bednest.

teaandbiscuitsforme Tue 31-Jan-17 12:34:59

You've done brilliantly to successfully co-sleep, well done! Ignore any negative comments, you've done exactly what you needed to do to make sure you and your DD are safe and you both get the rest you need.

I'd recommend finding The Milk Meg on Facebook if you've not already- loads of information about the benefits of co-sleeping. The sleep book by Sarah Ockwell-Smith is also great as co-sleeping is the thing she recommends. Not read the book by the PP poster though.

As for daytime sleep, I'd lie down in bed for at least one nap to give yourself a chance to rest. Otherwise the only thing that worked for my DD was the pram (not fully reclined because of reflux) and DS is now napping well in the sling.

FATEdestiny Tue 31-Jan-17 18:42:17

The "Back To Sleep" safety campaign has been the single biggest change to SIDS, reducing sudden baby deaths by over 40%

Read the Lullaby Trust for more detailed advice for safe sleeping.

Safe cosleeping is fine. Car seat and bouncer are highly inapororiate for night times.

Newborn babies being difficult to settle in the crib is normal, no need to medicine that. Try a swaddle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now