Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

5 months old multiple wake ups - help!

(4 Posts)
onemumtwocountries Sun 29-Jan-17 11:36:37

DS is 5 1/2 months old. EBF until 5 months, in the last couple of weeks we have introduced solids a couple of times a day but he's still having all his milk feeds. He's a happy baby, big for his age (nearly 9 kg), no problems with feeding/behaviour/naps.

However, he's becoming increasingly difficult at night time - he wakes up quite often. I don't mind feeding him to keep him happy but part of me thinks at this age he should start feeding less at night, not more. He has a solids feed at 7, bath at 7.30, milk feed at 8-8.30 (sometimes boob plus some expressed milk to make sure he's full) and bed at 9. He's normally up for feeds around midnight and 4-5, which is fine. He then sleeps to 8-9. I'm happy with that. The problem is that he's also started to wake up crying at 1, 2, 3... sometimes every hour, sometimes 2. I can resettle him easily but give him another half hour he's crying again. Feeding him is the easy option as he then goes back to sleep for 2-3 hours. I just don't know when he's hungry and when he isn't - he will always take a feed. If I feed him every time he cries we could total 5-6 feeds a night!

Any advice appreciated. Needless to say I'm sleep deprived and can't see a clear solution.

teaandbiscuitsforme Sun 29-Jan-17 12:15:12

He's still very young and needs his milk. You also need him to feed overnight so your supply meets his needs. My advice- just feed him when he wakes.

BF babies go through phases of waking more frequently and less frequently so if you want to keep BF for a reasonable length of time, just feed him at every wake up and go with it for now. He should then settle into less wake ups in his own time. I'm sure somebody else will be able to offer advice if you are looking for alternatives or to reduce BF though.

KateBeckett Sun 29-Jan-17 12:27:56

Sounds normal I'm afraid!

PostTruthEra Sun 29-Jan-17 12:32:17

It's exactly what my 5.5month old ds is doing. I've googled 'is it possible to die from lack of sleep' more than once in the last month.

Hope this phase passes quickly for you. flowersbrewcake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now