Talk

Advanced search

When to start a bedtime routine

(9 Posts)
newmummytonoah2016 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:43:08

Hi

Was just wondering when you should start to set a routine for a baby and what the best plan of attack is? My little boy is 12 weeks tomorrow and we've started the past week or so putting him down in our room at his last feed (usually around 1030/11) in which he settled pretty well and generally sleeps through until 5 or 6 most nights. I was just wondering if we should be putting him down earlier in the evenings and doing bath and then feed and then bed now he's approaching 3 months. We generally bath him 6 or 7 o'clock at the moment and bring him back down with us.

Any advice on what others do and what has worked for you would be much appreciated smile

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sat 28-Jan-17 19:48:29

If it's working for you currently I would not change it. We didn't start nightly baths till weaning. DDs bedtime routine evolved and moved earlier and earlier around about 4 to 5 months. Then firmed up with weaning around 6 months. I didn't think it worth pushing it before then as DDs guidelines are to have baby with you for all sleeps till 6 months anyway.

EsmesBees Sat 28-Jan-17 19:50:52

I wouldn't change it either. Sleeping til 5/6 is great.

katiegg Sat 28-Jan-17 20:12:15

To echo others, if it's working for you don't change it. As time goes on you could bring his last feed forward so that he ends up going to bed shortly after his bath?

We've always put both of ours to bed after a bath at seven pm followed by a feed, mainly because we wanted a few hours to ourselves in the evenings. At the moment, ds2, who is 8 weeks is going to bed for about 8pm and sleeping until 3 or 4 am, then weeks for a feed and goes back down until around 7 or 8 ish.

newmummytonoah2016 Sat 28-Jan-17 21:19:47

Thanks for the advice that's really helpful to know smile. It seems to be working well at the moment just wasn't sure when I needed to get a bit more routine like. But we are slowly getting there with putting him down after his last later bottle instead of just keeping him downstairs with us. Trying to get a little of our evening back. I guess as time goes on we can adapt regular baths and earlier bed times etc! Thanks all smile

Stuffedshirt Sat 28-Jan-17 21:22:29

You're doing really well as you are, plenty of time for a bedtime routine later. We started seriously at around nine months, as we were starting to incorporate looking at a book before sleep time. Good luck.

Christmasbaby16 Sun 29-Jan-17 16:26:57

We bathe , change snd feed and put our 9week old into his basket downstairs with us by 8 (ish) if he goes off to sleep then that's him asleep until 12/1am then back down until next feed which he tends to have around 4/5. If he doesnt go to sleep we leave him in his basket providing he is calm and settled and let him have one of those toys which attach to the side to "play with" until he drifts off. He will then follow same sleep and feed pattern.
He wakes up in the morning between 7:30/8 for play/change/feed before another nap around 9:30a/10 and then length of thay varies on his choice!
Not sure if it's too early to start a "routine" but works for him and us so we will keep at it until he lets us know otherwise.

newmummytonoah2016 Mon 30-Jan-17 05:54:47

Thank you smile that's nice to hear! You sometimes wonder if your doing this parenting right don't you. But seems to be working well for us at the moment, so will carry on for now! Thank guys smile. Good to hear what is working for others to! Can pick me some tips up.

FartnissEverbeans Thu 02-Feb-17 12:49:50

That's brilliant! My DS slept for around the same length of time as yours (thankfully!!) and he's naturally starting to nod off earlier now at four months. Last night he fell asleep at 8, though he did wake up earlier than usual next morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now