Talk

Advanced search

What is going on??

(11 Posts)
Bibblewanda Sat 28-Jan-17 08:20:15

For the past 2 weeks my 10.5 mo who previously slept through has been a nightmare. He goes to bed at about 6.30/7 but is now waking at around 3.30 and will literally be awake for 2 hours crying. If I offer milk he takes it and cries when I put him back down. If I rock him he cries. If I stay by his cot and pat him he cries. If he comes in bed with us he cries. Eventually I manage to rock him back to sleep but only because he is so exhausted. I'm certain he's not in any pain from teeth or similar; I've given neurofen and anbesol and it's made no difference. I'm also not convinced it's separation anxiety as he goes to sleep happily on his own at the start of the night.

At this point I don't really know what the hell to do but I can't go on like this.

Would be really grateful for any tips or experience.

UnbelievablyChocolatey Sat 28-Jan-17 18:45:36

No advice I'm afraid OP but I've been having similar issues with 11 month old DS! You sure it's not separation anxiety? Mine tends to go to sleep fairly ok as he falls asleep feeding. But then I'm wondering if it's when he wakes up later on and realises he's alone that he gets himself all panicked and starts screaming

Bibblewanda Sat 28-Jan-17 18:47:47

I just don't see how it can be - I put him in his cot awake, turn off light and leave room and he happily goes to sleep on his own so surely he would cry then if separation anxiety?

brewcake for you!

UnbelievablyChocolatey Sat 28-Jan-17 18:50:30

Hmm doesn't seem likely then! He's not cold or anything like that is he? I know myself I sometimes wake up in the early hours feeling a bit chilly so I've turned the heating up a notch

FATEdestiny Sat 28-Jan-17 18:56:19

It's not separation anxiety, he'd calm down in bed with you if it was.

How does he go to sleep at bedtime? Does he have a dummy? Can he find it himself in the night?

Bibblewanda Sat 28-Jan-17 19:24:44

Bedtime routine is:

Sleeping bag, dummy, into cot, lights out and white noise on (plays all night, he finds it very soothing).

He has a sleepytot and can easily find his dummy himself.

Bibblewanda Sat 28-Jan-17 19:25:02

I don't think he's cold as the room is the same temp it always is.

FATEdestiny Sat 28-Jan-17 20:55:25

Ah you beat me to it! My suggestion was going to be a sleepytot or dummy saver to help him find it himself.

It sounds like no matter what you do, nothing calms him down. If he was cold, bringing him into your bed would warm him up (although it might be worth trying an extra layer of clothing just to check). If he needed comfort, he'd calm when you cuddled him. If hungry, he'd calm when fed.

So given that, I'd suggest he's in pain or uncomfortable in some way. Teething maybe, or poorly.

Bibblewanda Mon 30-Jan-17 05:31:54

I can't take much more of this, he's been awake and crying on and off since 4. How can he be poorly or in pain - he's fine during the day!!!!

FATEdestiny Mon 30-Jan-17 12:44:46

I'm not a doctor, but it could be anything. Ear infection, chest infection, blocked nose - anything that involves "fluids" inside the body will be worse when lying flat.

Are you doing things to maximise your sleep despite the situation?

I'd have the cot in my room, next to my bed. So I could find dummy and reinsert immediately in first stirring. It would also mean I could dangle an arm into the cot to settle upset baby without getting out of bed or opening my eyes. Even if baby was crying then, I'd know I was reassuring and comforting baby whilst also resting as much as I can.

If possible, cosleep during the day to catch up on sleep. Or go to bed early. I know it seems obvious, but I also know how easy it is to miss the obvious when sleep deprived.

isobel79 Mon 30-Jan-17 14:07:44

Im just reading your post OP after an absolutely horrendous night with my nearly 11mth old. Hes got conjunctivitis and a cold. Otherwise hes fine in himself so much so that ive taken him to nursery because im exhausted. I was literally shouting at him early hours because i couldn't take any more. Im back at work next week and am dreading it already. But i love him so much. I just wish sleep was easier. Being tired is one of the *worst things ever. So i really do sympathise. Keep you chin up!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now