Talk

Advanced search

10 steps backwards

(6 Posts)
ellash Fri 27-Jan-17 22:52:26

DS is 4 months old in a couple of weeks. He's our first baby and so it took a little while to adjust and set up a routine, but by about 2 and a half - 3 months we cracked it (for us!)
DS will have half his bottle, then a daily bath at 7pm then he will be dressed into his pjs , all lights dimmed and fed the rest of his bottle to send him off to sleep. He'd be down by 8pm. Then at 11-11:30 we would offer him a dream feed and then he would be back down until about 5am, another bottle and back to sleep until 7:30am.
However, this past week he will not settle. He won't sleep until about 10pm, then up at 2 and then starts his day at 5am! By 10pm I'm pulling my hair out having not yet managed to eat dinner or have any "me" time and then I'm up at 5 to do it all over again! 😫
I understand he is still very young, and I'm hoping it's just a phase.
I am ensuring I keep to routine, bath and bottles at the same time before bed in hope that he will soon just slip back into old habits. I don't want to change the routine in any way as it worked so well for all of us.

But, after this past week I'm going insane, I'm exhausted! Can anyone help? Any tips on how to settle DS a bit earlier?

BunloafAndCrumpets Fri 27-Jan-17 23:15:36

This sounds like 4 month sleep regression. We had it, it passed. You could read some books / websites about sleep regressions. I would say doing what you're doing and hopefully he will settle again soon flowers

BunloafAndCrumpets Fri 27-Jan-17 23:16:23

Also pay attention to daytime naps as for lots of babies they're really important in getting good night sleep.

ellash Sat 28-Jan-17 05:32:30

BunloafAndCrumpets THANK YOU. Finally, after the most stressful week it feels like everything seems logical. I've had a little bit of a read and will look a bit further into it today so I know what to expect.
I'm trying to just stand my ground, I'm up now with him as after being down for 20 mins, it's like the 5 o'clock alarm went off in his head to get up. But rather than get up for the day, I picked him up & didn't talk to him at all and had a bit of a cuddle in absolute silence and darkness. Within 5 mins he was back to sleep. Perfect. Long may it continue! 😍

Babasaclover Sat 28-Jan-17 06:19:31

I remember this well. Thought I was going mad. Wish babies were more logical! It does pass though. Every time I get used to her routine she changes - currently 8.5 months old.

Now if she doesn't get her morning and afternoon nap she doesn't go to sleep well at night. She only likes to sleep in cot not buggy so I'm a bit housebound but I usually put up with that as know she won't sleep at night if she doesn't sleep during the day!

Good luck! Mine is now asleep but I've been up since 4 for no reason except insomnia 😵

BunloafAndCrumpets Sun 29-Jan-17 23:03:58

Am v pleased it's helped. Nice sometimes just to know others are going /have been through the same thing i think.

Hope you get more rest soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now