Talk

Advanced search

Recommend a swinging chair?

(11 Posts)
Nottalotta Fri 27-Jan-17 20:25:03

Dc 2 due any day, and keen to get some sort of chair to maybe help with naps in the early days. Ds is 18 months old and wouldn't be put down for naps, had to be bf, held, pushed in pram etc and keen to avoid that this time.

Had a quick look online and goodness me some are expensive!!

Any suggestions?

freethebiscuit Fri 27-Jan-17 20:50:25

I'm on my 3rd baby now and in the same position. A friend of mine who had her 2nd at the same time as me bought a swinging chair for a bit of 'peace' but the baby hated it and still only wanted her. That put me off getting one given the cost...I've found my carrier helps (borrowed a sling too and helped) but of course no use when you need a shower etc.... sorry no help but just good luck and I'll follow this post to see if anyone else has a magic swing I might try myself!

Nottalotta Fri 27-Jan-17 21:05:46

I've just looked on eBay and lots only used a handful.of times because baby hated it.....

Argh. Not sure whether to shell out on the chair or a new carrier........

freethebiscuit Fri 27-Jan-17 21:21:02

Carriers can be great but would love my lo to be somewhere safe and secure and asleep for a bit so I could have a nap too! Do you know anyone with a chair who you could invite yourself round to theirs to try it once your baby is here?

Nottalotta Fri 27-Jan-17 21:34:58

Snap but not sure my 18 month old would agree with the napping! I do know someone, good idea.

FATEdestiny Sat 28-Jan-17 11:48:16

I bought the Fisher Price Kick and Play bouncer three times. I don't think it's made anymore though. The Fisher Price Woodsy Friends bouncer looks like the updated version of the same product:

www.argos.co.uk/product/2494054

Removable arch means toys can be out of the way for sleep time.

Z-frame is perfect shape for foot bouncing from the sofa. Ive tried several others (some rocking, some swinging and other bouncers with different designs) and personally feel this design is the most functional.

Can be in reclined position or upright position. I kept reclined position since bouncer was mostly just for sleep until 6 months, but upright uptight position useful for when ready to be sat up, looking around (while I make dinner, or whatever)

Has a vibrate setting. Useful to calm a over-tired meltdown.

Doesn't automatically bounce baby for you. I know some swings do this. Personally I like to control the amount and level of bouncing. It meant that over time I could bounce less vigorously, or do pauses in the bouncing when baby was settling, or bounce for less time - all as a means to gradually wean off the need for movement to sleep. That way by 6 months (the max age for these bouncers), it wasn't needed. My worry with an automatic bouncer would be that it's either in or off. Or setting one, two, three or off. There can be fewer gradual, slight changes when you don't get to control the bouncing yourself.

Soubriquet Sat 28-Jan-17 11:50:50

this one!

Had it with both of my children and it's lovely. They both slept really well in them and my ds actually used it to sleep at night for several months. Wasn't ideal but we was desperate

Donotpress Sat 28-Jan-17 11:53:44

We loved the mamas and papas starlite swing. Dd slept in it for every nap until she was 6 months!

Redkite10a Sat 28-Jan-17 12:26:05

We have an older version of this bright sparks swing www.argos.co.uk/product/2812856,.bought off ebay for 20 pounds. You can take the fabric off and wash it so cleaning a 2nd hand one is no problem.

I bought it for DC1 but he didn't like it and it got very little use, from about 10 weeks I could get him down in his cot so stopped trying it. We're now using it loads with DC2, who has reflux and is much harder to put down. Initially I used it when she was awake only as it kept her happy and safe from DC1 and gave my back a break from having her in the sling the whole time. At 12 weeks, I can now get her in the swing for at least one nap a day but it has taken persistence to get to this point. We have a bouncer but I can't get her to sleep in it, and DC1 likes bouncing it so hard her head goes flying so I can't leave the room while she's in it. The swing all he can do is rock it a bit faster than its already going which doesn't hurt her so is safer.

It's the sort of thing that really varies by baby though, so I don't think you can tell in advance if it's going to work. What's your DC1 like, we have a 21 month age gap and I spend my like trying to keep DC1 off DC2 so anything that keeps the baby strapped in and safe is invaluable - playmat's on the floor are definitely out for the moment unless I'm supervising.

Nottalotta Sat 28-Jan-17 14:12:14

I was hoping for something that doesn't require much input from me - I have a basic bouncy chair, ds didn't like it til he was about 4 months old and even then required constant bouncing or he would wake/cry. I'm not sure constant bouncing will be doable with ds to look after too.

As for what he's like, no idea how he'll be with the baby. Saw a friend yesterday, he weeks old baby cried a little bit and ds was distraught. Doesn't bode well!!

I suppose I wait and see what the new baby is like. You never know, it might do what everyone says newborns do and sleep all the time!

Soubriquet Sat 28-Jan-17 14:15:15

The chair I linked uses battery and swings itself

It also provides white noise, bird noises, ocean noises and classical music

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now