Talk

Advanced search

Cot too big?

(15 Posts)
Caenea Wed 25-Jan-17 08:09:05

Morning all!

I have an 11 week old (somehow, gosh) and we've had to transistion her from moses basket, where she's previously slept, into her cot as the basket is too small now.

She's a hefty 11 week old (75th centiles) and if she throws her arms out in her sleep she hits the basket sides/top and wakes herself up and I then have to start the whole getting back to sleep thing again. It's getting to be four or five times a night and once she's awake she wants a feed - she'll actually sleep through if she's in bed with us/ doesn't wake herself by thrashing around, it's like she doesn't wake up for being hungry by itself iyswim.

So we tried the cot but here's the catch - it's bloody huge! She obviously can feel it as we've regressed right back to when we first got her home - waking up as soon as she's in there and needing comforting at once. So, after all the rambling on, here's the question - is there anyway I can reduce the open space around her while still keeping the cot safe? I want her to feel like she's in her basket but without hitting the sides if you catch my drift.

Any help will be appreciated!

Lovelybangers Wed 25-Jan-17 08:11:42

could you put a pool noodle down each side -tucked snugly under a sheet? just to create a false side ? i haven't tried it, but am sure I have seen it somewhere.

I remember my DS was a big baby - and soon outgrew the moses basket. He was a little unsettled at first when he went into his cot but soon got used to it and slept very well.

picklemepopcorn Wed 25-Jan-17 08:18:43

So, she's down at the foot end, with a sheet tucked firmly over her? Pool noodles sound like a plan. I can't remember the advice about teddies at the moment, are they allowed in?

Sunshinegirl82 Wed 25-Jan-17 08:43:26

How about a sleepyhead?

Caenea Wed 25-Jan-17 09:19:03

We can't afford a sleepyhead @Sunshine - I looked into it before she was born but there's no way I can pay out over £100 for one unfortunately, but thank you smile

Pool noodles might be a plan though @lovely - just to kind of tricking her into thinking there isn't so much space there. Especially as I'm really hoping it's a temporary dislike and will pass!

Littlelegs19 Thu 26-Jan-17 01:52:06

My DS had to spend the night in hospital last week and while there, a nurse made, what was effectively a sleepyhead out of sheets/towels. It was the first night since my son was born that he feel asleep in a matter of minutes and not hours! When we got home the next day, we did the same and he has slept a 1000% better since!
Just use a towel/sheet, fold corner to corner And roll it till you have a long sausage. You might need to use two if it's not long enough. Put it/them in the cot and then put a sheet over the top of it. Voila!!! Home made sleepy head. Happy sleeping baby!!

pastabest Thu 26-Jan-17 05:31:31

I've got one of these

www.amazon.co.uk/PurFlo-Breathable-Nest-Soft-Truffle/dp/B00UIZIVEY/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1485408562&sr=8-1&keywords=purflo+baby+nest&tag=mumsnetforum-21

It's like a sleepyhead but more than half the cost.

katiegg Thu 26-Jan-17 05:37:02

Will she sleep in a bag? Maybe something to create that feeling of being enclosed? Pool noodles sound like a great idea too!

Also, a trick I learnt from a neonatal nurse is to put them in the cot and put a blanket over them and tuck it under the mattress quite firmly so it's creating a tiny bit of pressure? I think it also gives them that sensation of bein more enclosed.

mountaingirl01 Wed 01-Feb-17 19:29:52

When my lo was admitted into hospital at 7weeks they used rolled up blankets under the sheet to 'create a nest' which worked really well. Poolnnoodles sound like a really good idea

TeaBelle Wed 01-Feb-17 19:32:23

I used the blanket/towel trick under the sheet too as dd kept banging her head once she could roll

seven201 Wed 01-Feb-17 19:34:56

Using towels etc rolled up in a fake sleepyhead way isn't recommended as they're not breathable, but sleepyheads are. A lot of people do it anyway though, but thought I should say so you can make an informed choice.

seven201 Wed 01-Feb-17 19:36:19

On my local selling group second hand sleepyheads tend to go for around £50. Have you got the cot close to your bed? Maybe the baby feels far away from you.

Northernlight22 Wed 01-Feb-17 19:46:33

When my little one was admitted at 5 days they made a little nest for him too with towels under the sheet, might be worth a go.

When I put mine down in the travel cot I put him to the side, not dead centre and into a grobag. During the day if he uses it I tuck him in using a blanket tucked under the mattress at each side and at the bottom.

Northernlight22 Wed 01-Feb-17 19:47:20

I'll add that the nest was around his feet / up to his armpits, not near his head or face

MrsPringles Wed 01-Feb-17 19:53:20

Second what PP said, when my very tiny newborn ended up in hospital when he was a few days old, the cot was huge! I was sat in my new mum emotional state just holding him not sleeping at all because he hated the giant cot.

A lovely nurse came in and made him a little best and voila he slept perfectly well as perfectly as a newborn can sleep confused
She was my new best friend.

Build a nest OP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now