Talk

Advanced search

Is my ds cold?

(33 Posts)
foxessocks Tue 24-Jan-17 02:22:06

Ds is 5 months and has been waking pretty much every hour for the last couple of weeks. I assume sleep regression. I have however noticed tonight his hands and ears and cheeks are really cold. Even the back of his neck isn't that warm. His mattress in his cot is cold to the touch. He wears vest babygro and sleeping bag.

Do you think he needs another layer or maybe put a blanket on top of his mattress so it isn't as cold?!

Mummyamy123 Tue 24-Jan-17 02:30:36

My 7 month old has an extra layer at the moment. It's chilly.
She's wearing long sleeve vest, babygro (or even gro suit), gro bag then a bit fleecy blanket.
You can only try wrapping him up more and see if it makes a difference smile

SunsetOnTheHorizon Tue 24-Jan-17 02:58:40

Yes. If he is cold try a fleece or shawl type blanket. Perhaps the room temp has dropped.

Hellmouth Tue 24-Jan-17 03:16:46

Touch his belly. If it's cool to the touch, put another layer on. DS currently has a bodysuit and sleepsuit on, and is in a 2.5 gro bag. It's so cold, though, that we also have a little heating on in his room.

foxessocks Tue 24-Jan-17 06:16:08

Well I put him in bed with us because I didn't want to wake him too much by putting an extra layer on and he slept until now...Most he has slept for ages. I feel terrible now, why didn't I think he might be cold confused. I don't think I fully realised how cold his mattress gets, we got a new one as the cot used to be my dds and it is a wipe clean waterproof type one.

Thanks everyone I will try the extra layer suggestions tonight and see if it improves. Feel so silly!

Hellmouth Tue 24-Jan-17 06:29:23

Don't feel bad! It's all a learning experience and you had the presence of mind to ask smile

Pythonesque Tue 24-Jan-17 07:00:25

I liked to put an extra layer under the bottom cot sheet as well to help.

foxessocks Tue 24-Jan-17 07:29:42

Yes maybe I should put the layer under the sheet rather than on top so he stays nice and smooth... Will experiment tonight and see how it goes.

He isn't even my first baby! But dd never seemed to get cold although she was in her Moses basket longer so maybe more snuggly.

Youhaveupdates1 Tue 24-Jan-17 07:31:53

My ds2 is in long sleeve vest, babygro, sleeping bag and two blankets on top as his room gets quite cold in the night. His little hands and cheeks are still cold sad
Think I may put a little blanket underneath the cot sheet as pp suggested!!

Roomba Tue 24-Jan-17 09:38:57

I think all babies are different. DS1 would always get too hot in his sleep, whatever the weather. He's still the same aged 11, happy to wear just a t-shirt to play out in winter, moans he's boiling all the time indoors. He's still got his summer duvet on and it was 12 degrees in his room last night!

With DS2 I used the same Grobag/sheet combination as recommended. He woke up cold constantly until I put extra blankets on him and a fleecy thing under his sheet. I worried about SIDS, but he just wouldn't sleep without and between that and the reflux I was on my knees!

Artandco Tue 24-Jan-17 09:46:31

Look at getting brushed cotton cot sheets. They don't feel cold to touch and nice and snug in winter. Can add over the other ones you have

I also think sleeping bags aren't that warm. They don't cover arms in the uk, and usually even winter weight ones only 2.5tog maximum
Blankets warmer in my opinion as can add several. Thin Muslin wrapped up high and tucked in around body kind of like swaddle on one side. Then add thicker ones under arms and over feet.

Also I would add knitted booties or thick socks over sleepsuit at the moment as it's cold even with heating on. Can also add cardigan if you want to just warm arms more

fruityb Tue 24-Jan-17 09:49:07

My DS has vest, babygro, grobag and blanket at the mo as it's chilly at night. He was waking up till we put a blanket on and now he's fine and dandy. And yes to the brushed cotton sheets - we have those on our bed!

Abetes Tue 24-Jan-17 09:49:40

My dd is a December baby and started sleeping in a vest, babygro, sleeping bag and a blanket but (this was many moons ago) it was a very cold winter. My MIL knitted her a cardigan and the first night I put her to sleep in her cardy at six weeks she slept straight through. We called it the magic cardy. 16 years on, I have still got it.....it's the only thing I kept from her baby clothes but I still believe that it saved my life as I was desperate for sleep at that point. Definitely try more clothes if you are not heating his room all night as it is freezing at the moment.

Cowgoesmoo Tue 24-Jan-17 09:55:37

DS has been cold lately too. We have fleece flat cot sheets from Tesco, think it's maybe this one: www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-loves-baby-fleece-blanket-blue/209-1457.prd?skuId=209-1457 just flat on the cot and tucked in under the mattress like a flat sheet.

We also have him in fleecy pyjamas and long sleeved vests.

What temp does his monitor say the room is? I find if it's under 18c DS needs some extra layers to sleep properly.

Tumtitum Tue 24-Jan-17 14:42:56

DD is sleeping in a 3.5 tog sleeping bag at the moment as her room gets so cold!

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 24-Jan-17 14:50:24

My ds is cold at night, he has a fleecy baby gro and a vest, no sleeping bag but a toddler quilt and pillow (he's 16 months). If we try and warm him up, he kicks off all his blankets.

We bought a little oil filled radiator with a thermostat to keep his room warm which we used last night for the first time; he still woke.

I'm sure I read somewhere that you should put extra layers on the baby and keep the room colder, but this hasn't worked for us either.

That's the most unhelpful post sorry....

Nottalotta Tue 24-Jan-17 19:53:16

You can get 3.5 tog sleepingbbags with sleeves. We have one. Our house is not at all warm, and we've rarely had to use this sleeping bag with more than a vest under it.

Artandco Tue 24-Jan-17 19:58:40

Notta - in the U.K. Sleeping bags aren't allowed to be sold with arms due to sids risk. So although can be bought online, they aren't recommended

Cowgoesmoo Tue 24-Jan-17 20:07:29

Art I've had two sleeping bags for DS with arms, both from TK Maxx in the UK so you must be able to buy them even if uncommon

Artandco Tue 24-Jan-17 20:14:04

Hmm yes I can see now they are sold. I was told in paediatric training though they weren't safe and therefore not uk certified. But maybe as long as it's not made in U.K. any company can sell anyway?

Tumtitum Tue 24-Jan-17 22:12:44

I bought mine off Amazon! Will check the make now... DD is almost one so I figured will tell me if she's too hot confused

Cowgoesmoo Tue 24-Jan-17 22:20:34

I didn't actually realise they were unsafe although I never used the arms with the smaller one because it was too stiff a design so his arms would have been stuck out all night unable to move. With his bigger one I have used the arms and he can move about as freely as usual. I don't think he gets too hot in it but I'll probably not use them again just in case. I had thought it was a great idea and quite fancied one myself blush

foxessocks Tue 24-Jan-17 22:29:14

Thanks everyone! I feel like a real idiot for not realising he was probably waking up cold. We have put a blanket on top of his sheet fleecy side up and tucked it into the sides. He now has vest babygro sleeping bag and I'll put a thin blanket over as well and see how that goes. I'll probably be up all night checking he isn't too hot now!

I don't have a room thermometer for him tbh. I had one with dd but it broke and I didn't replace it. He is in our room at the moment and we don't have the heating on at night (we sometimes put it on for an hour in the early hours when dh gets up for work )

Wish me luck !

fruityb Tue 24-Jan-17 22:32:22

Have just noticed he's the same age as my DS. It was instant sleep when I put a blanket on him when he kept waking! He was in a grobag then and I didn't think you were allowed to use blankets as well. Sod it I thought - was loads better that night! Hope yours is too - the few weeks of sleep regression was hard.

DrWhy Tue 24-Jan-17 22:42:23

You folks have all made me wonder about my DS now, he's just in a sleepsuit and 2.5 tog bag, which is what grobag suggest for 18 degrees. Our heating is set to 16 degrees overnight and I think having me in the room too keeps it closer to 18 judging by my checking the temperature occasionally overnight. His hands do feel frozen when I feed him at night so I wonder if I should put a blanket over the top,
On the other hand when we were down at my mums over Christmas he woke 6 or 7 times a night until I realised that if I was thirsty every time I woke so was he, because mums house is hotter than the surface of the sun! Trying to find a one tog bag the week before Christmas was fun but he went back to 2 wake ups - poor creature must have been sweltering!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now