Talk

Advanced search

Sleepyhead Cover Nightmare

(12 Posts)
MinnieNoush Wed 18-Jan-17 11:55:58

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else has had a nightmare with the Sleepyhead covers?

I washed mine for the first time in preperation for using it when my baby is born and I feel like it has shrunk (even though I washed it exactly as per the instructions). I can not for the life of me get the filling back in. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, has anyone found an alternative to the ridiculously priced spare covers. I saw a few people suggested placing a crib sheet over it, but does this fit properly and is it safe?

TIA

Gladiatorsready Wed 18-Jan-17 12:15:22

Hi I used a sleepyhead in the early days and the same thing happened after I first washed it. In the end my husband had to wrestle it on, it took a bit of time but it went back on and was fine. If you look at the sleepyhead website it actually explains why the covers are so tight. It apparently ensures that the whole thing stays rigid and therefore safe for overnight sleeping.

I used to put a muslin in the bottom but was worried about excess material so just bit the bullet and bought a second cover in the end.

Whenisittimeforwine Wed 18-Jan-17 12:24:19

The trick is stuffing the "arms" right down to the bottom of the cover really hard before getting the rest in!

plimsolls Wed 18-Jan-17 12:28:30

Yeah it's tricky to get back on but you get the hang of it after a while. A bit like stuffing sleeping bags back in their travel packs and so on. As PP explains it's necessary for the cover to be very tight for safety.

I think the FAQS on the website say you can use a crib sheet or a an extra large muslin if you want. You just need to make sure it's breathable fabric and is not too baggy. I just bought a spare cover but I agree they are pricey.

Once my daughter stopped vomiting profusely (she had a condition that made her very sick) I actually found I didn't need to wash them that often.

anametouse Thu 19-Jan-17 10:58:08

I use a cot sheet over DS and just tuck it tightly around

calilark Thu 19-Jan-17 11:00:02

Total pain the arse. I used to use a large pillow case and slip it in there, or just tuck a moses basket fitted sheet.

StuntNun Thu 19-Jan-17 11:03:55

They are a pain to put back together. I put a folded muslin in the middle bit under baby's head then an unfolded muslin over the whole top part so that the cover lasts longer between washes.

Desmondo2016 Thu 19-Jan-17 13:36:38

After several washed mine has now shrunk to the point that the shape is distorted and we've given up using it. But previously I just used cot sheets tucked in tightly. They never came loose, even a little bit.

MinnieNoush Thu 19-Jan-17 14:56:46

Thanks so much ladies, i'm going to try the cot sheets and muslins and hopefully that will save a lot of frustration (and money).

parmavioletmartini Thu 19-Jan-17 15:04:04

I use a giant muslin and tuck it around tightly. They cover is too much of a pain to wash all the time and the spare is so expensive.

munchkinmable Thu 19-Jan-17 21:06:29

It does take a certain technique to get it back in. I used to just wash it early in the morning and stick it on the radiator so it was ready for bedtime, so only had one cover. But my dd has never napped in her cot so didn't need it during the day

ClusterFuckTadpole Sat 21-Jan-17 13:47:03

It's really bloody difficult. I managed to stuff it back in eventually, fitted crib sheet then over the top worked really well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now