Talk

Advanced search

Recognising 4mth sleep regression

(5 Posts)
ThePants999 Mon 16-Jan-17 01:16:17

Hi folks!

DS is 18 weeks old now, and we're trying to figure out whether we've got the 4 month sleep regression coming or whether we've got lucky and already dealt with it.

He's never exhibited much in the way of patterns with his sleep, so we've not been able to say "ah, something's changed" because every day is different. But what I have noticed lately (alas, can't say whether it's new) is that his sleeping is, like clockwork, on a multiple of almost exactly 45 minutes - so once he's asleep, he'll wake up 45mins later, or 1.5hrs later, or 2hr15 later, etc. Watching him on a camera at the end of a sleep cycle, we can see him wake up and then go back to sleep again. (Or not, of course, if he's hungry!)

From what I've read, that's in line with how baby sleep works after the 4 month regression - and the standard "fix", i.e. to put baby down while still awake and help them learn to get themselves to sleep - is what we already do, which is making me think we might have "gotten lucky". Possible, or just wishful thinking?

FATEdestiny Mon 16-Jan-17 11:38:41

I'm at a loss as to why you think it matters? Sleep is not linear, it gets better and worse and better again and worse again and so on. It's ok now. That's great.

rebeccaroskellthomas Mon 16-Jan-17 12:13:47

Hi ThePants999. The only way we really recognised the 'sleep regression' is the LG wouldn't be put down after a night feed. Sleep changes so much in the beginning and I'm fairly sure we had lots of regressions! Try not to worry to much about what could happen and just tackle it if/when it does. And if it does, it will get better. Hope that helps!

mimiholls Mon 16-Jan-17 12:26:07

Yes at around 4 months the sleep cycles become more defined so that's what you are recognising with the blocks of 45 mins- one sleep cycle is around 45 mins. If baby can settle himself back to sleep when he stirs between cycles then the '4 month sleep regression' shouldn't affect him but of course there are all sorts of ups and downs when it comes to sleep.

ThePants999 Mon 16-Jan-17 13:21:14

Thanks all :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now