Talk

Advanced search

Total sleep disintegration

(5 Posts)
DappledThings Sat 14-Jan-17 04:07:11

Had a thread here about naps last few days, it's now night sleep too.

In three nights we've gone from mostly sleeping through to barely any sleep at all. Nothing has changed in routine and DS (11 months) is going to sleep as normal around 7. But he's just not getting into deep sleep all of a sudden.

He's been audibly stirring after every 40 minute ish cycle so was getting sleep but only fitfully. Tonight has been worse, sometimes only out for 20 minutes at a time.

Since about 12.15 he has been getting more and more restless and has really been mostly awakeep since 2ish. Not sure, we've been dozing as I think he must have been dozing too but nothing else. Mostly he was just quietly grumbling, not proper crying or anything close. I think he's trying to sleep but it just isn't happening. Last 20 minutes have been more distressed but replacing dummy and putting him back on his back have calmed him.

He's still awake though, I'm sitting outside his room with no idea what to do. Picking him up just wakes him more.

Sorry this is an essay, he just seems to have suddenly lost the ability to sleep.

GizmoFrisby Sat 14-Jan-17 05:14:11

Teething? Possibly. Or I have a dd who tries her luck most nights. Tonight was one of those and we have been up since 4.30 due to singing,shouting and kicking cot. I get her up only because I have ds too and don't want her waking him up. Otherwise I think I'd leave her as there's nothing wrong she's just a little shit.

TwatteryFlowers Sat 14-Jan-17 06:14:31

Tbh I think that if he's not actually crying and is just stirring and grumbling I'd leave him and try to get some sleep myself. I used to do that with mine when they were babies and more often than not they would either go back to sleep eventually or would stay awake, babble and chatter but not actually cry until they were hungry (obviously I then would go in). They would go through stages like this every few months but it never really lasted very long before sleeping through again.

FATEdestiny Sat 14-Jan-17 11:14:37

Why don't you have the cot next to your bed?

It might be that all he needs is to feel reassured that you are there - dangling a hand over into the cot while you lie in bed for example. That may well resettle him from one sleep cycle into the next without properly waking up.

Once he's sleeping deeper like this, it perpetuates so that the quality of his sleep gets better and better.

The key is make getting to sleep and staying asleep as easy as possible for him. Not hard work.

DappledThings Sat 14-Jan-17 11:35:11

No room for cot next to bed. He was in crib here till 6 months but now in full size cot bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now