Talk

Advanced search

Night weaning

(13 Posts)
Poppyflo29 Fri 13-Jan-17 16:52:58

To carry on my breastfeeding journey I need to night wean as it's affecting most aspects of my life through lack of sleep. He wakes every 45-1hour most nights. Most he's ever slept is 3 hours and that's been about twice!

We've tried the gentle approach and his having none of it with me being there.

So we are going cold turkey and I'm going to sleep downstairs for abit.
Anyone have any advice or success stories?

Hoping to still feed in the morning and evening.

mimiholls Fri 13-Jan-17 19:31:47

What age?

Poppyflo29 Fri 13-Jan-17 19:41:42

19 months.

FATEdestiny Fri 13-Jan-17 21:13:45

Has your baby got any established independant comfort mechanisms - dummy, snuggle toy, thumb sucking, that kind of thing?

Bangkokbaby Fri 13-Jan-17 21:21:29

I have 25 month old twins and have just night weaned them. I bought a gro clock and the book 'nursies while the sun shines' we read the book for a few nights, it's lovely and explains than at night 'nursies' sleep. We call it milkies so I just changed the words to fit.
I used the gro clock and explained that milkies were going to sleep and they could have it when the sun came up.
It was hard the first few nights. I wore a sports bra and a high necked t shirt! I went in and comforted them, cuddles and reinforcement that milkies were sleeping and that they had to wait for the sun. A couple of times my husband had to take over as they just couldn't cope with me being there and no milk. It was easier than I thought though, and not too distressing for them.
We now have a short feed before bed, then a story the bed. Then a feed in the morning.
Some mornings it is earlier than the gro clock sun, anything for a long lie! But never before around 530.
I think the combination of the book, and the idea of a definite time when they could have it (could be sunrise during the summer, but I needed the gro clock as it's still dark in the mornings here) helped them understand and give them a focus fur when they would get milkies, so made it easier for them to understand.

Chanadhal Fri 13-Jan-17 21:24:05

Is your DS not able to communicate at 19 months? Have you tried CIO?

Poppyflo29 Fri 13-Jan-17 22:02:08

Fatedestiny, no I wish he ducked his thumb, my daughter did/does and she slept through from the moment she found it.

Bankokbaby we have that book, I try reading it but his attention span doesn't last that long unfortunetley

Chanadal, he understands me, but he can't talk back yet. I don't want to do CIO.

Chanadhal Fri 13-Jan-17 22:13:19

Poppy, understand your point but 45min-1 hr feeds is surely excessive even for a young baby never mind a 19 month old. My friend was in a similar position and resorted to CIO around 14 months to sheer desperation. Took less than a week to get her sleeping through.

Bangkokbaby Fri 13-Jan-17 22:13:22

You don't need to do cio. We haven't and won't. There are gentler options.
Check out the milk meg on fb. She did a good night weaning webinar that I found useful. Her book boobing all day boobing all night is great too and covers night weaning.

FATEdestiny Fri 13-Jan-17 22:16:01

Are you cosleeping? Have you thought about a cosleeper cot?

Would your DH do the night settling?

Poppyflo29 Sat 14-Jan-17 12:45:39

Thanks for the replies. He sleeps in his bed for the first part of the night then ends up in with us. Then I place him back in his when I can be bothered. He still wakes just as often when next to me.

I'm going to sleep downstairs for the next week and my husband is going to put him to bed and deal with the night waking. Hopefully this gets rid of the sleep association with my boobs. X

TDmoocher Sat 14-Jan-17 12:50:31

I stopped breastfeeding at 13 months. My DP dealt with nightfeeds. It's took about 3 weeks for dd to stop waking.

teaandbiscuitsforme Sat 14-Jan-17 13:01:20

I did a similar thing when DD was 18 months. At first we decided that if she woke between 10 and 5, DH would go into her (own room, single bed). Before or after, I'd go in and feed. But after a night or two she was absolutely fine with DH going in so we decided once I'd put her to bed, he'd go in for any wake ups before morning. And from then on she's slept through! DH now puts her up bed as well.

Good luck! Cold turkey seems like it might be extreme but I'm sure your DS will get fine and get used to it very quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now