Talk

Advanced search

Please can anyone help/advise? !

(9 Posts)
usernoidea Tue 10-Jan-17 13:56:42

Can anyone give me any pointers as to why my 4 month old wakes so regularly after his initial 3hour sleep at night ? He goes down 6.30/7 then from about 10.30 onwards he seems to only sleep for no more than an hour at a time. He's not upset, he just is awake/noisy/thrashing around etc...
I do a dream feed about 10....then normally feed him about 2am again. He's ff and gets shitloads during the day (every 2.5hours) which he doesn't always finish.....
I just find the broken sleep cycle between midnight and 6am a fucking slog.....everyone says feed him more during day/put him in dark room etc...all of which I'm doing!!!

Orangedaisy Tue 10-Jan-17 14:02:11

Welcome to the 4 month sleep regression. Ours lasted til 23 months.... There are about a zillion things you can try (google it) but what worked for us was coffee and acceptance. Was much less stressful than trying to follow a lot of contradictory advice. Good luck.

usernoidea Tue 10-Jan-17 14:11:23

I know about the 4 month sleep regression but this has been the case since about 4 weeks old......

Hellmouth Tue 10-Jan-17 14:15:02

What are his naps like during the day? If he's getting too little or too much sleep during the day, that will also interfere with his nighttime sleep.

usernoidea Tue 10-Jan-17 14:19:19

40 mins in the morning
2 hours from 1-3 in the pm x

Orangedaisy Tue 10-Jan-17 19:21:32

I'm afraid the same comment applies. IMO some babies sleep, others don't. Your naps sound about right to me. If you want to try a technique pick something you like the sound of, stick to it for at least a fortnight and don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work. Especially as your baby is still tiny-most techniques are for much older babies. And ignore people who say 'they just need a routine and enough to eat in the day' - they are the lucky ones who happened to get a good sleeper.

usernoidea Tue 10-Jan-17 19:52:26

Thanks orange daisy. I think you're right! Can't think of much I've not tried. Hopefully sometime before he leaves school he'll sleep through the bloody night!!!! X

CareFactor Fri 13-Jan-17 22:49:27

Have you tried squeezing in one more late afternoon nap, around 4:30-5pm. I know it sounds counterintuitive but the more they sleep in the day the better they sleep at night. I was told they should only be awake for around 90 minutes at this age so he may be overtired when he's going down.

ash102 Fri 13-Jan-17 23:05:42

My ds thrashed about from about this time too until about 2/3am. He was still asleep but clearly not very deeply! I found that ensuring he was gently winded and upright on my shoulder for 5-10 minutes really helped. When this didn't work co-sleeping worked a charm. Thankfully he grew out of it between 4 and 5 months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now