Talk

Advanced search

6 month old waking more at night

(6 Posts)
Ladykluck Sun 08-Jan-17 06:41:08

My DS is 6months old. From 10weeks until 4months he slept from 11pm/midnight until 9am. We we're keeping him downstairs with us, bottle at 11pm ish then he'd sleep. At 4months he started to get cranky being with us downstairs and so we started putting him to bed earlier on his own somewhere between 7-8 pm. Since then he's slept through about half a dozen times, always waking for one bottle around 4am ish. For the last three weeks or so he's woken up at erratic times, sometimes at 1am sometimes at 5am. Currently typing this as he's woken up at 00:20 and 06:20 tonight. He hasn't woken up twice in one night since he was 10 weeks old. He's definitely hungry as he's draining the 8oz bottles he has on waking. Weaning began at 21 weeks due to reflux. Had to do it very gradually due to cow milk allergy. He now has about 200g (7oz) of food split between lunch and dinner. Adding breakfast in this week. In addition also has 800ml of milk in 24hrs. He's a big lad. i don't think he's sick (I'm a doctor) there's no teeth popping through and he's otherwise happy. We're moving him to his own room today as he's 6months and it will be quieter incase he's getting disturbed which is waking him. What on earth is going on, I'm so worried about him.

Introvertedbuthappy Sun 08-Jan-17 06:47:59

Goodness me, waking twice a night at 6 months old is good, well within the realms of normality! My 9 month old gets up between 2-5 times a night and is a big boy too, crawling, cruising and on 3 meals a day plus snacks. Babies wake up for other reasons than food (just like adults). It could be temperature, full or dirty nappy, needing comfort or, indeed, milk.

If you're not doing so already I'd try a baby sleeping bag (good for keeping a constant temperature) and long armed sleep suit underneath. Keep how you return baby to cot constant and offer comfort when needed (many find dummies useful, although my DSs have never had them). FATE on here often offers good advice, I'm sure she'll be along soon, but rest assured two wake ups a night is good going. Best of luck.

AprilShowers16 Sun 08-Jan-17 06:52:24

Ahhh sound amazing - my 6 month old has just woken for the 6th time since midnight. Keep doing what you're doing, maybe look at some gentle sleep training to try and get him to learn to go back to sleep himself but otherwise embrace it!

AprilShowers16 Sun 08-Jan-17 06:53:54

Ps. Didn't mean to belittle your worry - babies change all the time and their sleep especially. Around this age they are changing so much I think it's very normal for their sleep patterns to fluctuate so I wouldn't worry at all

Eminado Sun 08-Jan-17 06:55:54

Been up since 4 with my 5mo - doesnt want a feed, doesnt take a dummy, nappy has been changed, room is warm - she just wants to stroke my face.

I'd kill for only 2 wake ups. Enjoy it.

Ladykluck Sun 08-Jan-17 10:15:10

Thank you. He does have a long sleeved body suit and a sleeping bag but we've realised this morning it's a bit small all of a sudden. He must have grown an inch in a few days. Maybe he was uncomfortable in the too small bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now