Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pick up put down - naps only 30 mins

(12 Posts)
DoloresAbernathy Mon 02-Jan-17 16:28:05

Hoping someone out there has down pick up put down and can help advise me on naps?
Me and DH have been doing PU/PD for 5 days now and its going really well for night sleeping (minor miracle) now I know it can take 2 weeks to crack fully and we are committed to seeing it through but we are just a bit confused on the day naps.
Our DC (9months old) is going down easily enough for the nap now but after 30 mins he seems to wake, once he wakes we continue with PU/PD to try to get him back off to sleep for the remainder of the nap but we have yet to be successful.
Today we decided to stay in with him so that we could try to catch him stirring and sooth him before he wakes fully but he just seems to go from asleep to wide awake.
Just confused if we should be having a break once he wakes and reading / trying again after 10mins or so if we should keep ploughing on until the end of the nap and eventually he will get that this is still sleepy time?
Thanks in advance

LapinR0se Mon 02-Jan-17 16:32:09

30 min naps can be a sign of over tiredness. What's your routine during the day?

DoloresAbernathy Mon 02-Jan-17 16:44:19

Hi Lapin thank you for replying...we have tweaked his day time routine on day 2 of PU/PD and it currently looks like this but wasn't massively off this main change is an extra BF;
7 am wake - yesterday was 6 am
BF on wake up
8am - solid breakfast
10am - nap (only 30 mins)
11.30 - BF
12 - Solid lunch
2.45 - BF
3pm - nap (only 30 mins)
5pm we feed him solid dinner
7pm - BF
Bath and wind down
Bed - 7.30pm
yesterday he woke at 6am so had a 4 hr gap before the 10am sleep, though we are trying to get him to sleep into 7 if we can but its not essential and if he regularly wakes at 6 we will just get him up at 6.

LapinR0se Mon 02-Jan-17 16:49:17

Ok at 9 months I think it's better to aim for the first nap at around 9 or 9.30 for 45 mins, then the next one could be 12.30 - 2.30 or 3 with bedtime at 6.30 or 7.
The gaps are too long now and your baby will definitely be overtired

DoloresAbernathy Mon 02-Jan-17 16:58:46

Ok I will try to tweak day naps I think to first nap at 9.30 and second at 3 but aim for bedtime at 6.30/7 and see if this helps.
I'll come back and update!
Thank you again smile

FATEdestiny Mon 02-Jan-17 17:39:44

first nap at 9.30 and second at 3

As mentioned, that is way too long awake time. Especially so with short naps.

If your baby is having short ( less than 1h) naps then they only way to avoid over tiredness is to make them frequent. Until naps extend past an hour, I would aim for awake time (between waking and going to sleep again) of 90m-2h.

As you get our out of this over tiredness cycle, baby should sleep more deeply and therefore sleep longer. Until then, keep naps very very frequent. For example, if we assume 30m naps:

6.30am wake
8am nap
10am nap
12.30pm nap
2.30pm nap
4.30pm nap
7.30pm bedtime

That's FIVE naps a day at 30 minutes. If the naps stretch to 45 minutes then you can stretch awake time, so maybe they'll be only 4 naps (or 5 naps and a later bedtime, which is another way).

I wouldn't move to two nap days until they are both routinely longer than 90m in length.

FATEdestiny Mon 02-Jan-17 17:43:01

Also, does baby have a comforter? Having something that comforts and means "now is sleep time" will help.

I favour dummy and blankie (restricted to just used at sleep time)

LapinR0se Mon 02-Jan-17 18:12:14

Yes sorry I meant the second nap was to be from 12.30 to 2.30 or 3. Not at 3! Your baby would be totally knackered.
If you get the timings right, you should get absolute minimum one sleep cycle of 40-45 mins nap and then you can try to resettle during the second long nap (no need at the first nap, 45 mins will do)

DoloresAbernathy Mon 02-Jan-17 19:50:53

Sorry Lapin I misread!
I've been reading baby whisperer by Tracy Hogg which says at over 8 months its 2 naps a day at 1hr30 with PU/PD to fix short nap time sleepers, but as we are on day 5 now with no improvement in day napping I am thinking that I need to tweak things.
So if I have his first nap at 9.30 but he wakes after 30 mins do I leave the nap or keep trying to settle him back for the last 15mins and then get him up?
Then try again at 12.30 after his solid meal..
Thank you for your reply Fate I am a little reluctant at the moment to veer too far away from the book as it does say to give it two weeks but if by the second nap he has still only slept another 30 mins I will add in a third nap in the afternoon I think.
He has a soft teddy which we have spent some time getting him attached to, he won't take a dummy though unfortunately.
Thank you both for taking the time to reply smile

LapinR0se Mon 02-Jan-17 20:32:59

If he wakes early in the morning nap just get him up. The one to work on is the lunchtime nap.
What worked for me was going in at 40 mins with white noise ( my baby had a rock-solid 45 min cycle and then would wake screaming). The white noise settled her over for another cycle. I would slip into her room and pop it on then leave without disturbing her. You could give that a go

DappledThings Mon 02-Jan-17 21:59:22

No great advice but just wanted to echo that it seems a massively long time between naps. DS is 10 months and naps 9-10 and 1-3. Sometimes goes till 10.15 and sometimes past 3. Today for some reason he woke up at 1.45 so he had a third nap at 3.45 for 45 minutes. If he was regularly only getting 30 minutes in I would be reducing the gaps between them and going for many more as FATE says

Pebbles17 Tue 03-Jan-17 10:13:50

Have you tried wake to sleep ? Our little girl (now 11 months ) was dreadful for just having 30 mins nap times, have done wake to sleep at 25 mins and this has meant she now naps for 90 mins at a time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now