Talk

Advanced search

5mo napping problems

(3 Posts)
BoredOnMatLeave Sun 01-Jan-17 15:22:12

Hi, this is my first post so sorry if I've done something wrong.

I have DD 5 1/2 mo who has always had problems with her naps. She's a great sleeper at night and always has been. Goes down at 6.30 after bottle and has dummy, doesn't need rocking or anything, just goes in cot and sleeps til7am. Great.

But when it comes to naps she is a nightmare. She has already dropped a nap from 3 a day to 2, which I am worried that she isn't getting enough sleep. She only ever naps for a max of 45 min in the day. Getting her down for a nap is awful. Tried rocking, bouncing, just putting her in the cot, nothing works! She just screams and I cant bear to hear her cry. She eventually goes to sleep after about an hour of crying, feeding, rocking, there isn't any constant thing that works. We live in a 3rd floor flat with no stairs so the pram lives in the car as I cant get it up and downstairs however she does sleep well in the pram. Sleeps in the car too but only after about 15 mins driving and if i don't stop at all.

Sorry this has ended up really long. Basically does anyone have any advice as to how I can get her to nap easier and for longer? She starts nursery in Feb as I go back to work and I'm worried they are going to have real problems with her.

FATEdestiny Mon 02-Jan-17 14:14:04

I would try putting her to sleep a lot earlier than you are doing. It sounds like by the time you tey for a nap she is exhausted and overtired, so getting to sleep is hard.

If she is not waking at all at night and getting 12h plus continuous sleep, I wouldn't expect more than 2 naps a day. I would aim for 2, 3, 4 (awake time between sleeps). So for example 7am wake, 9am nap and 1pm nap, give or take.

If baby likes movement to sleep (pushchair and car) then in the house you can recreate this best with a bouncy chair. You just have to be relentless about it. Keep on bouncing and holding dummy in for baby and bouncing some more and reinserting dummy, bounce bounce, dummy, bounce... and so on relentlessly, right through until asleep and to keep baby asleep.

BoredOnMatLeave Mon 02-Jan-17 18:41:44

I was hoping you would come on here fatedestiny as you seem to be a sleep guru smile. Thanks for the advice ill give it a go tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now