Talk

Advanced search

Can I use a duvet and pillow for a 12mo?

(10 Posts)
MYA2016 Fri 30-Dec-16 20:32:10

Our almost 12mo ds is a good sleeper off and on. Great for months, then terrible for months. Then has been great again for months.
Now for the last couple of weeks he's waking again 2-3 times a night. As soon as he comes in our bed he is flat out and doesn't wake all night.
My mum keeps suggesting we use a toddler quilt and pillow in his cot as she thinks that cot mattresses are uncomfortable and he obviously likes being snug under a quilt.
Is this just my mum being old fashioned, or is she right?
He will be 12mo in 2 weeks time.
Has anyone else used them this young in a cot and if so, do you find your baby doesn't move as much? In his cot he will rotate all directions but in our bed he lies between me and dh (head on pillow) and doesn't move all night

QuandryQueen Fri 30-Dec-16 20:33:20

grin he sleeps well in between you and dh because he is in between you and dh grin

IamScarfaceClaw Fri 30-Dec-16 20:41:45

I think the advice is that they can have a duvet and pillow from 12 months, I have been considering a pillow for DD who is also 1 in two weeks, but we use a sleeping bag rather than duvet.

Nottalotta Fri 30-Dec-16 21:13:52

What does he have now? Ds is 17 months and in a grobag. Theres no way he'd stay on a pillow and under a quilt. If he's in bed with us he sleeps on top of the quilt below the pillows, in his grobag.

If your ds rotates in the night, don't you think he'd lose the pillow and quilt?

Ilovecaindingle Fri 30-Dec-16 21:15:24

My ds was 2 in Sept. Now in a bed but no pillow or duvet yet. Fleece onesie and fav blankets out the cot!!

MerylPeril Fri 30-Dec-16 21:18:10

Is he just cold?
I don't think we used a pillow for quite a bit longer.

FATEdestiny Fri 30-Dec-16 21:18:39

You can add a pillow at 12 months old. It's often useful when baby has a cold, to raise their head.

You could swap a sleeping bag for a duvet or quilt if you wanted. It is considered safe past 12m. I wouldnt though - you'll just end up with baby waking up due to being cold in the night.

lorelairoryemily Fri 30-Dec-16 21:36:23

I use a baby pillow do my ds, he's 9 months, we use it because he used to get very stuffed up at night and also because it's made of foam to prevent flat head(ds had a tendency to sleep with his head to the left ALL the time!! But we never put it in loose, I put it under the fitted sheet, it's the full width of the crib and made specifically for babies, we use a grobag and monitor temperature and follow all safe sleep practice, the pillow has been great for his breathing and he sleeps much better than on the flat. If you look up the website clevamama.ie to see it. I'll probably get slated for telling you this and just to be clear I'm not telling you that is what you should do I'm just saying it's what we do and it's worked fine but as long as the pillow is under the sheet and not loose.

BumWad Fri 30-Dec-16 21:40:22

DS is 19 months and still in a grobag. I was actually considering getting he next size up Grobag he's all over the place in his cot. Does full circle and back again.

Do babies really manage to stay on a pillow all night? confused

lorelairoryemily Fri 30-Dec-16 21:51:36

Lol bumwad!! That's funny, my ds has been in the crib until recently, just moved into the cot but he doesn't move much in his sleep(yet!) the pillow is under his fitted sheet, and it's the full width of the cot, it's quite tight, doesn't budge and he sleeps great on it!! If he starts moving around I might have to re think, but for now yep he does sleep on it all night!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now