Talk

Advanced search

Trapped wind

(3 Posts)
SunLolly Fri 30-Dec-16 15:40:40

Hello

For the past week or so my 5 month old has had trapped wind every night. He was self settling after night feeds but this has completely stopped. He will now fall asleep in my arms but wakes as soon as he's put into his cot, bringing his legs up and squirming around.

We are getting only a few hours sleep as a result. I have him on infacol and gripe water for the past few days but last night was the worst ever. Is there anything else I should try?

Thank you.

FATEdestiny Fri 30-Dec-16 15:49:26

In all honesty it sounds like you are trying to medisise normal baby behaviour.

It's quite normal for a baby to sleep relatively easily and well during the "fourth trimester" and then it gets to about 4 months and everything gets harder.

Have you tried a dummy?

At night, with the help of holding the dummy in for baby, leaning close to baby and shushing, could you try settling baby in the cot after a feed (rather than in your arms and transferring)?

seven201 Mon 02-Jan-17 00:28:51

You need to try and get the wind out before you put him down. Can he self settle at all as presumably he wakes up when winded? Do you do leg cycling and tummy massage during the day?

We've had to resort to cry it out (for various reasons I won't bore you with, tried all sorts) as every time I put my just over 6 month dd down after breastfeeding or bottle feeding to sleep she'd just ping awake again. It wasn't good for my sleep, but more importantly she just wasn't getting the sleep she needed so she was a right grumpy madam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now