Talk

Advanced search

Help!

(18 Posts)
Rubberubberduckduck Thu 29-Dec-16 11:09:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FATEdestiny Thu 29-Dec-16 12:16:24

Have you tried swaddling her? The tight, enclosed, secure feeling mirrors the feeling she had in the womb and can be very calming.

I'd also suggest a dummy. It's recommended to reduce SIDS and also as a help for unexplained crying (ie colic) and reflux. Babies take natural comfort from sucking. She may need to help mastering the dummy while she's so tiny, but will get it with perserverence.

Rubberubberduckduck Thu 29-Dec-16 12:36:50

GiraffeWithAShortNeck Thu 29-Dec-16 12:40:46

Can you tilt one end of the cot up so she's not lying flat?

Rubberubberduckduck Thu 29-Dec-16 12:46:05

boobsaclock Thu 29-Dec-16 12:47:02

Have you considered it might be cows milk allergy?

boobsaclock Thu 29-Dec-16 12:54:48

If it's only occurred since you gave formula it may well be allergy. They can be allergic to the dairy you eat through breast milk but it's far less concentrated than getting it directly through formula. If I were you I'd see gp and ask for a non-cows milk formula like neocate and see how she goes, or just bf more - bf is supply and demand so you will be able to keep up as long as you feed feed feed.

kippersandcurtains Thu 29-Dec-16 12:59:54

Can you try going back to exclusively b/feeding? Maybe express a few times a day as well as feeding to increase your supply?

FATEdestiny Thu 29-Dec-16 13:19:25

Regarding a swaddle:

One cot sheet (not blanket) cut in half along the short edge (to make two very long, thin rectangles) makes two perfect sized swaddle for a newborn.

The fact the rectangular sheet not very "tall" means it keeps the legs and hips more free movement. The fact the rectangular sheet is very "long" gives you loads of material to wrap all he way around and under baby and out the other sude. Baby's own physical weight then keeps it tight.

FATEdestiny Thu 29-Dec-16 13:22:27

Rubberubberduckduck - how often are you feeding?

Most sleep issues at this newborn age are solved by feeding more. It is normal to be feeding a newborn every 90m-2h between 7am-11pm.

More daytime feeds means fewer needed at night.

Rubberubberduckduck Thu 29-Dec-16 13:41:30

Rubberubberduckduck Thu 29-Dec-16 13:42:15

FATEdestiny Thu 29-Dec-16 14:06:44

Is the time she is taking to bf normal?

Breastfeeding is about far more than just milk intake. A large proportion of that will be comfort sucking. There's nothing wrong with comfort sucking, if you are happy with it.

I wouldn't be though. That's down to practicality for me, I have 4 children (and all the trappings of being SAHM and running a house and big family) so could not sit with baby attached to the breast all that time and i was EBF.

It's not like anyone sane times their breastfeeds, but it would be maybe 10 minutes one side, 5 or 10 minutes second side. Sometimes back to first side. Around 15-30 minutes for a feed at this newborn age.

GiraffeWithAShortNeck Thu 29-Dec-16 14:07:33

Sounds like you are having a rough time of it: flowers
Ref length of time feeding, I only have one dc but yes at that age she was cluster feeding in the evening lots. Do you have a bf helpline in your area you could call to get tips and reassurance?
One thing I tried was to get mine to go to sleep on me and only transfer her when deep asleep... Seemed to keep her asleep longer. You've probably tried that too though!

FATEdestiny Thu 29-Dec-16 14:11:23

I find that she takes up to an hour and a half breast feeding them still wants feeding on top.

I assume baby is sleeping on the breast then? Because awake time (between one nap and the next) as a newborn might only be 30-40 minutes. Upon waking it is just enough time to feed, check nappy, wind, reswaddle and back to sleep.

Is baby spending extended periods of time awake? You might have an over-tired exhaustion problem.

Rubberubberduckduck Thu 29-Dec-16 14:23:54

Rubberubberduckduck Thu 29-Dec-16 20:32:18

boobsaclock Thu 29-Dec-16 20:38:53

At 6 weeks she's going through a huge growth spurt and will be feeding lots with the main purpose being upping your supply, so she will feed feed feed feed all night to get your body to produce more, but once your supply is up then it'll settle down. As fate says it may largely be comfort sucking too. You could try a dummy maybe?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: