Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help!

(18 Posts)
Rubberubberduckduck Thu 29-Dec-16 11:09:21

Looking for help but not sure if this is the right topic or not! DD is nearly 6 weeks old.. she is combination fed and is fed on demand.

We are very lucky as she is in the main a very content baby but dear god between from 2 onwards she is struggling to sleep.

She is so uncomfortable from around her 2/3 o'clock feed she can't get can't get back to sleep. She is grizzling and throwing her legs up with really bad wind and nothing I do can get rid of it. She's desperately tired but keeps waking in pain. She is on C&G colic and constipation on the advice of the HV. I normally feed her myself on each breast first then she has 4 oz of formula. She has two lots of infacol first. I then wind for hours!! She is occasionally like this during the day but not always.

She has had massive growth spurts of nearly a lb a week for the last 3 weeks but HV thinks she is making up for being small at birth.

Has anyone any suggestions. The lack of sleep is obviously painful but I'm asking because it's awful seeing her in pain and continually squirming. She doesn't cry just moans a lot. Any advice please?!

FATEdestiny Thu 29-Dec-16 12:16:24

Have you tried swaddling her? The tight, enclosed, secure feeling mirrors the feeling she had in the womb and can be very calming.

I'd also suggest a dummy. It's recommended to reduce SIDS and also as a help for unexplained crying (ie colic) and reflux. Babies take natural comfort from sucking. She may need to help mastering the dummy while she's so tiny, but will get it with perserverence.

Rubberubberduckduck Thu 29-Dec-16 12:36:50

Fate thank you.

She has been swaddled since birth, originally with a blanket but she squirmed so much one night she managed to get her head fully under the blanket. She's in a next to me cot and I happened to open my eyes at that exact moment and she's not been back in a blanket since!

I bought the gro swaddle but it's not strong enough to keep her arms straight, consequently she bends her arms up and the whole bloody thing rides up under her chin and over her mouth and finally I bought a swaddle blanket and I can't get it tight enough to stop her from getting it undone. When she is calm there are no problems with the above, when she is unhappy they just don't suit at all. Happy to try any other brand of swaddle though.

She has a dummy but she needs encouraging to take it. Once she has it she sticks with it for a few mins but as soon as she starts squirming it's out with a point blank refusal to have it back in. I spend many an hour playing spit it out, put it back!

She is much happier on her front. I don't let her sleep on her front as read the info from the lullaby trust but I sometimes wind her over a pillow as she will happily fall asleep like that. Also she will fall asleep in the bouncer at a slight angle. It appears to be the flat on her back scenario that causes the issues.

I wish I had never started giving her formula as this has only occurred since then but I couldn't keep up with how much milk she wanted with these massive growth spurts. I just want her to be comfy.

GiraffeWithAShortNeck Thu 29-Dec-16 12:40:46

Can you tilt one end of the cot up so she's not lying flat?

Rubberubberduckduck Thu 29-Dec-16 12:46:05

giraffe thank you... I've done that as well!! Only slightly though. I may try it a little steeper but she's got to a point where she can turn 45 degrees in the cot. She can also roll on her side so just cautious of doing it too high.

boobsaclock Thu 29-Dec-16 12:47:02

Have you considered it might be cows milk allergy?

boobsaclock Thu 29-Dec-16 12:54:48

If it's only occurred since you gave formula it may well be allergy. They can be allergic to the dairy you eat through breast milk but it's far less concentrated than getting it directly through formula. If I were you I'd see gp and ask for a non-cows milk formula like neocate and see how she goes, or just bf more - bf is supply and demand so you will be able to keep up as long as you feed feed feed.

kippersandcurtains Thu 29-Dec-16 12:59:54

Can you try going back to exclusively b/feeding? Maybe express a few times a day as well as feeding to increase your supply?

FATEdestiny Thu 29-Dec-16 13:19:25

Regarding a swaddle:

One cot sheet (not blanket) cut in half along the short edge (to make two very long, thin rectangles) makes two perfect sized swaddle for a newborn.

The fact the rectangular sheet not very "tall" means it keeps the legs and hips more free movement. The fact the rectangular sheet is very "long" gives you loads of material to wrap all he way around and under baby and out the other sude. Baby's own physical weight then keeps it tight.

FATEdestiny Thu 29-Dec-16 13:22:27

Rubberubberduckduck - how often are you feeding?

Most sleep issues at this newborn age are solved by feeding more. It is normal to be feeding a newborn every 90m-2h between 7am-11pm.

More daytime feeds means fewer needed at night.

Rubberubberduckduck Thu 29-Dec-16 13:41:30

We are feeding her every 2/3/4 hours dependant on what she wants but it's mostly roughly every 3 hours during the day.

I find that she takes up to an hour and a half breast feeding them still wants feeding on top. I will attempt to feed her more myself. I am pumping 4/5 times a day and using shields when I feed her as I'm getting v v v sore nips!

I will try the cot sheet swaddle thank you. I have my 6 week check on the 5th Jan so will ask about formula then. We have a hosp app with her today and 3 on Tuesday so can't get there before then!!

Rubberubberduckduck Thu 29-Dec-16 13:42:15

Is the time she is taking to bf normal?

FATEdestiny Thu 29-Dec-16 14:06:44

Is the time she is taking to bf normal?

Breastfeeding is about far more than just milk intake. A large proportion of that will be comfort sucking. There's nothing wrong with comfort sucking, if you are happy with it.

I wouldn't be though. That's down to practicality for me, I have 4 children (and all the trappings of being SAHM and running a house and big family) so could not sit with baby attached to the breast all that time and i was EBF.

It's not like anyone sane times their breastfeeds, but it would be maybe 10 minutes one side, 5 or 10 minutes second side. Sometimes back to first side. Around 15-30 minutes for a feed at this newborn age.

GiraffeWithAShortNeck Thu 29-Dec-16 14:07:33

Sounds like you are having a rough time of it: flowers
Ref length of time feeding, I only have one dc but yes at that age she was cluster feeding in the evening lots. Do you have a bf helpline in your area you could call to get tips and reassurance?
One thing I tried was to get mine to go to sleep on me and only transfer her when deep asleep... Seemed to keep her asleep longer. You've probably tried that too though!

FATEdestiny Thu 29-Dec-16 14:11:23

I find that she takes up to an hour and a half breast feeding them still wants feeding on top.

I assume baby is sleeping on the breast then? Because awake time (between one nap and the next) as a newborn might only be 30-40 minutes. Upon waking it is just enough time to feed, check nappy, wind, reswaddle and back to sleep.

Is baby spending extended periods of time awake? You might have an over-tired exhaustion problem.

Rubberubberduckduck Thu 29-Dec-16 14:23:54

We are just preparing to go to this hosp app so will reply properly when we are home!! Really appreciate all the help!

Rubberubberduckduck Thu 29-Dec-16 20:32:18

I have a BF class near me that I would like to go to but my HV is coming out weekly (lo is having her head circumference measured weekly ATM) at the same time the class is on. I will get there in the new year though.

She doesn't seem to sleep on the breast until the very end.. she stops and starts but in the main is sucking/nodding away and appears to be swallowing.

She is awake for certain periods of the day for an hour or so. Most of the time it's eat, sleep, repeat, apart from at the dead of night where sleep is lacking!!

Feeding in the night is painful as she can do an hour bfing then I'm making a bottle as she is still hungry.. she has maybe 3 oz and is winded then goes down and starts grizzling. Once I'm awake in the night it's a two hour process when I feed her, whereas its less than an hour if I go straight to bottle!!

boobsaclock Thu 29-Dec-16 20:38:53

At 6 weeks she's going through a huge growth spurt and will be feeding lots with the main purpose being upping your supply, so she will feed feed feed feed all night to get your body to produce more, but once your supply is up then it'll settle down. As fate says it may largely be comfort sucking too. You could try a dummy maybe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now