Talk

Advanced search

Two year angel sleeper gone BAD BAD BAD!!

(13 Posts)
Pheebe Mon 19-Feb-07 21:01:26

Hi everyone
DS has been a really good sleeper until the last few weeks. He finally managed to climb out of his cot so we put him in his big boys bed which he seemed to accept fine and once he gets to sleep he sleeps well. It's the getting to sleep. He won't stay in his bed or in his room and we end up getting angry and shouting at him until he finally gives in and goes to sleep. Any ideas on how we can get our lovely bedtimes back and teach him its ok to be in bed and go to sleep?

fransmom Mon 19-Feb-07 23:10:11

no but i shall be watching with interest as my dd is justa bit younger than your ds and we were wondering when to change her cot bed into the bed part.

Pheebe Wed 21-Feb-07 12:34:39

Hello, could really do with some advice here...anything at all...

Pheebe Thu 22-Feb-07 17:16:52

I'll try bumping it one last time...could really do with some advice

madmarchhare Thu 22-Feb-07 17:21:38

gate on his door? it worked a treat for us.

fransmom Thu 22-Feb-07 22:18:53

hi pheebe hows you? have recently seen a nightlight/alarm clock for young children that tells them when it's time to stay in bed and when it's time to get up. at night/sleep time, the rabbit's eyes are closed but when it's time to get up, the rabbit's eyes open. i'm pretty sure i saw something similar in argos. hth x

saralou100 Thu 22-Feb-07 22:25:02

same problem here... ds1 just had his cotbed turned into a bed and now he likes to get up and party in the middle of the night!

goes to bed wonderfully, bath, bottle, story in bed! just gets up in the middle of the night and runs around... soooo tired!

how old is he? old enough for a sticker chart?

like the sound of the rabbit clock... can you set it so he doesn't get out of bed till 10am? would it work on my 10 wk old?

CountTo10 Thu 22-Feb-07 22:37:30

It does take them a while to get used to the freedom of getting in and out of a bed but they do get over it. We jsut used to put ds back into bed and then leave and keep on and keep on. Then, we put something up against the door handle so that he couldn't open it. Within a few nights he gave up trying to do it at all and stayed in the bed. We also have a timer on a lamp on his wall and the rule is he's not allowed up or out of his room until the lamp goes on. We started doing this after a couple of months of him getting up in the night or at 4.30 and I kid you not within two mornings he was not getting up until the light went on and we suddenley started getting whole nights sleep again!!!

fransmom Thu 22-Feb-07 22:44:55

it might sarahlou tho you might have to use blackout curtains in the summer

Pheebe Fri 23-Feb-07 08:16:32

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice. Some we're using already, the gate, the lamp on a timer etc. once he's asleep he sleeps on through its just getting him to stay in bed. he seems so so upset, like the separation anxiety thing last year. Tried the supernanny approach, but one night I was there for an hour and I just can't be that cruel to him when he's obviously upset. Having said that, he's been better the last couple of nights. We've let him come back downstairs for story time after his bath and told him he can have 10 mins play in his room with the light on but when it goes out, its bed time. Thank goodness for timers. Maybe treating him more like a little person able to make his own decisions rather than a baby is the trick???
Pheebe

fransmom Fri 23-Feb-07 12:55:48

was going to say mornig then but it's not anymore! perhaps that is the way for your little boy; we find that when we take the time to explain what's going to happen to our dd, then she's usually ok. we might have to say things a fw times but it usually works, she gets her off days like we all do so don't be disheartened

Pheebe Sat 24-Feb-07 22:37:16

<<<exasperated>>> he can now climb over his gate!

fransmom Sun 25-Feb-07 22:45:17

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now