Talk

Advanced search

Sleep issues 18 months

(4 Posts)
Fairy45 Sun 25-Dec-16 21:56:39

Hi just before i go into the details of my current issue i feel you need a run down of my childs life so far.
Dad kicked us out when she was 3 weeks old so we found a 1 bed flat and lived there til she was 11 months. She didnt sleep more than 2 hours at a time. Hated milk. And i ended up putting her in my bed to make feeding easier. This made her sleep much better like 6 hours at a time. Then 9 months she started to wriggle down the bed and so for her own safety i did controlled crying and she slept through.
Since she was 11 months we have moved 3 times and sort of became homeless. Sleeping half the week at her dads and half the week at my mums. She has had no stability of late and has pretty much slept in my bed again since oct when we started sofa surfing. Now for ease and stability we are living permanently at her dads. She goes down fine in her cot but i know every night that she will wake and end up in my bed because i cant face the battle with her for hours on end. Shes 18 months old and i dont know how to break this cycle without upsetting her which i really dont want to do after all the mess shes had so far!
Anyone help at all? Any sleep consultants or good books to try?

FATEdestiny Sun 25-Dec-16 22:45:14

How about taking one side off the cot (you can do this with any cot, just remove a side using an alken key) and butting it up to your bed with the mattress heights matching?

This sidecar arrangement might help her with the transtion from cosleeping to independant sleeping.

jessplussomeonenew Sun 25-Dec-16 22:54:49

Sounds like she really needs the security and cuddles at night right now. Now she's past 12 months and old enough for a pillow/duvet of her own I think you don't need to be as worried about her wriggling under the bedding - if you're both getting goid sleep that way I would go for it. If you want to change it in the future then you can do that when you're in a more stable situation and she's less in need of comfort.

Fairy45 Mon 26-Dec-16 21:07:22

Thanks! Im not going to be abke to do that with the cot as its a travel cot with a mattress in at the mo and I want her to get used to her surroundings so there isnt another transition into bedroom. Do either of you think if i ride this out for a month the situation will improve or does there always need to be sleep training involved eventually?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now