Talk

Advanced search

When will it get better?

(8 Posts)
TooTweeOrNotTooTwee Mon 19-Dec-16 20:37:22

Please give it to me straight - will it ever improve? DC are 4 and 2, not babies!

DC1 is so hard to put to bed, endless delaying tactics followed by endless calling for me from her bed. Doesn't go to sleep until around 9pm, having started bedtime at 7pm. Then regular night waking and often ends up sleeping in bed with me.

DC2 is much better generally but in a cheeky phase of getting out of bed to play with toys so also not asleep until far too late. Then at the moment getting up in the night to ask if we can watch tv hmm

The only time they sleep beautifully is at 7am in the morning when we have to wake them up to go to school / nursery.

So parents of difficult sleepers, did it eventually improve? Did you get to a point where DC went to bed willingly without complaining, and slept the whole night? Most of all I'd like my evenings back!! Give me hope please..

Coconut0il Mon 19-Dec-16 21:08:47

DS1 started going to bed without complaining and sleeping the whole night about 8. He's always been a night owl though and never gone to bed before 9. He was always up in the morning, never late and even now at 13 he goes to bed later than I'd like but he's always up and ready for school.

WheresTheEvidence Mon 19-Dec-16 21:13:48

DC1 endless delaying tactics followed by endless calling for me from her bed

So ignore her or just repeat it's bedtime

getting out of bed to play with toys so also not asleep until far too late

Remove toys from their room

TooTweeOrNotTooTwee Mon 19-Dec-16 21:44:24

Aargh coconut only another 4-6 years to go then...

Wheres - I know you are right of course, and we've had periods of strict rules, but even then the eldest struggles and at the end of the day I think she needs me to come when she calls, even if it is just for a firm "it's bedtime".

I had trouble sleeping myself as a child until I learned to read, and I read myself to sleep. So I'm hoping that will work for DD in due course.

pipnchops Tue 20-Dec-16 02:26:36

Just picking up on your read to sleep idea, have you thought about sticking an audio book on for them to go to sleep to? I used to do this as a child. Might be too young though, just an idea xx

Coconut0il Tue 20-Dec-16 02:29:40

DS1 was much better once he could read to himself before bed. Before that he would always complain, need a drink/the loo/a chat/a hug. Now he's 13 he's hard to get out of bed! Wish DS2, 16 months was the same, he's wide awake now confused

TooTweeOrNotTooTwee Tue 20-Dec-16 18:46:31

Tried audiobooks about a year ago and it didn't work - we ended up in a bad place where DD and I were both lying in her room (me on floor) listening to endless audiobooks, with the lights on and holding hands. Not the fault of the audiobooks I know... at that point we involved a sleep consultant who pointed out it was a bit unrealistic to expect DD to go to sleep under those conditions!

She advised darkness, a gro clock and me leaving the room after saying goodnight. With rapid return if DD came out.

We're still more or less doing this but the trouble is DD stays in bed but calls for us (loudly) over and over again. Better than it was but still tiring.!

I guess I've just accepted she's not a good sleeper, but that doesn't stop me hoping she will grow out of it at some point!

MrsPeel1 Tue 20-Dec-16 20:16:23

No answers here, just sympathy and company. 4yo never sleeps through although he's miles better than he used to be and now goes to bed without a fuss. My 2yo has been a dream sleeper until about 3 months ago. I feel like she's been passed the shitty sleep stick from ghee brother. It's awful! I've tried every trick in the book, to no avail. Hoping it's a phase...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now