Talk

Advanced search

Do your kids co-sleep with other family members?

(17 Posts)
MyEternalSunshine Sat 17-Dec-16 22:14:32

Just curious really- my DS co-sleeps with us (would rather he didn't but can't get him out) so whenever he overnights with family he ALWAYS ends up in bed with them either from the start or he climbs out to join them.. Is this the norm?

SolomanDaisy Sat 17-Dec-16 22:15:55

Yes, mine does this too.

Ankleswingers Sat 17-Dec-16 22:19:01

And mine.

FATEdestiny Sat 17-Dec-16 22:22:07

My youngest (2y) doesn't cosleep. She is really good in terms of sleep, very happy in her own cot always.

But in the few iccassional she's slept over at my mum's, she ends up in my mum's bed. I think because dd isn't goid when things are different so she's unsettled at Mum's house. My mum doesn't want an unhappy granddaughter, so cuddles her in bed instead.

Longdistance Sat 17-Dec-16 22:23:11

Mine don't co sleep with me, but when they are st my dm's house for the night, they take turns in sleeping in with her. Sometimes one of them ends up at the end of her bed curled up with a sleeping bag and pillow on the floor.

My DM loves it smile

StealthPolarBear Sat 17-Dec-16 22:25:51

You've just brought back memories of sleeping with my grandma and her radio playing old fashioned music grin
I've never felt as old as I do right now.

Hulababy Sat 17-Dec-16 22:31:37

When she was smaller Dd would often end up getting into my parents bed when she slept over at some point in the night or early morning. My dad used to go and get into her bed and leave her with my mum - she was (still is!) a wriggler and even when smaller seemed to need a lot of bed space!

She did co sleep with is as a baby and on and off as she got a bit older.

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Sat 17-Dec-16 22:34:47

DD has only coslept with her Nan. I didn't when she was a baby, because our bed wasn't safe, so she's never got used to it, and on the rare occasion I've tried, we've both been awake all night. She's stayed with both sets of grandparents a few times now (she's 3). At my parents' she has my old single bed, which she's fine with, but at PILs they had a double in the spare room, which she didn't like and couldn't settle in. MIL felt that it was because the bed was too big, so got in with her, and all was well. They've now got a fold-up bed and toddler duvet for her, which she settled in beautifully last time she stayed.

StealthPolarBear Sat 17-Dec-16 22:35:21

Until my dc were embarrassingly old my mum used to move a mattress into their room and sleep on the floor in case they needed her in the night smile

Mehfruittea Sat 17-Dec-16 22:40:01

We have never co slept with DS (5yo) except on holiday either due to the unfamiliarity or actual bed situation.

But when at MIL's house he always gets on better if he co sleeps with grandma. He's has some visits where he has been really upset, not gone to her and just been really sad the next day. Co sleeping ended that. I have no problem with it at all - just want my boy to be happy.

Coconut0il Sat 17-Dec-16 23:45:41

Yes DS1 slept in with MIL when he stayed over.

MyEternalSunshine Sun 18-Dec-16 08:09:10

Aww lovely messages to wake up to smile I think it is an unfamiliar thing- although my DS really just is a clingy person when it comes to bed time- he has a real stigma and being alone, poor sod. Hence why we never kick him out of our bed! He just doesn't want to be lonely sad thanks for sharing everyone smile

originalusernamefail Sun 18-Dec-16 08:12:11

Yep my eldest will co-sleep with my parents. Youngest happy in his own bed (for now.

NickyEds Sun 18-Dec-16 08:15:53

I always used to wake up with my neice and nephew both in bed with me when I had them over night. I was quite gutted when the youngest preferred to sleep alone. I know my sister would love to have mine in bed with her and is a bit disappointed that they're happy enough in their own beds!

Nyancat Sun 18-Dec-16 08:24:32

My two both do when they stay at DMs. I think it's so lovely and they are always super excited to get to snuggle with Nana. They think it's hilarious that df goes and sleeps elsewhere. I remember doing it with my aunt when I was little and sleeping in her big bed being so exciting and weekend mornings creeping in to my parents bed. Id love my two to have the same memories.

GoofyTheHero Sun 18-Dec-16 08:26:47

Mine only stay at my mums but yes, they end up in her bed there!

Bundao Sun 18-Dec-16 08:46:42

Sometimes. Both my daughter and niece end up in mil's bed when they sleep over there. They are 10 and 11, neither were or are co-sleepers but they love sleeping together and with her.
I was never a co-sleeper unless I was at my grandparents house, I remember loving the fact that I was allowed in their bed as I was never allowed in my mother's bed. I had sleep terrors as a child but they never happened at my grandparents. My children were always welcome in the bed because DH was always allowed in his parents bed and I hated being denied. Two were co-sleepers, two weren't. My mother lightened up and always let our co-sleepers into her bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now