Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a baby recover from 4 month sleep regression?

(6 Posts)
malvinandhobbes Fri 16-Dec-16 20:20:14

My baby slept so wonderfully for the first three months.

Then we took a trip, then she got got a cold, and now at 4.5 months she doesn't sleep for 2 hours without demanding to nurse. I can't really let her cry as she'll wake up the entire house.

Does anyone have experience of them just starting to sleep well again while continuing to breastfeed? Is there hope?

My first two children never slept at all, so I never had any hope. This one gave me hope then took it away.

FATEdestiny Fri 16-Dec-16 22:26:11

You can continue to breastfeed. You just need to find a way to settle baby to sleep effectivey.

Have you tried a dummy?

Spudlet Fri 16-Dec-16 22:31:39

Yes. It's hard, but you can get through it. With DS, he was great to 4-ish months. Then, awful. Then, at about 6 months, good again. Then, teething and another sleep regression at 8 months... I night weaned at about 9 months because he was barely taking anything, then finally stopped breastfeeding at 10 months due to biting. We've then had a run of illness but touch wood, at 11.5 months he seems to be doing ok, has slept through for a week now. I'm sure we'll go backwards again at some point but overall, the direction of travel seems good.

Hang in there!

SilverLinings2014 Mon 19-Dec-16 15:58:32

Would it help if you thought about it differently? It's not a regression that's caused her sleep to go pear shaped, it's a developmental leap forward. She is learning so much right now it's hard for her to switch off.

Sleep isn't really a linear process but it will gradually improve. Until the next development/illness/bout of teething which will set it back again.

CatchIt Mon 19-Dec-16 16:09:12

My ds has done the same. Great sleeper, hit 4.5 months and now wakes for a comfort feed approx every 2 - 3 hours. Im co-sleeping so I roll over, give him a suckle and roll back to my side of the bed and go to sleep.

I know this isn't going to fix anything but I'm just not sure either how else to tackle it either. sad

MiaowTheCat Mon 19-Dec-16 16:14:58

Yep. DD2 hit every single sleep regression going with an absolute vengeance.

DD2 now (aged 3) could sleep for England - she can fall asleep anywhere and sleep through bloody anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now