15 weeks all of a sudden waking up during night!!

(4 Posts)
Darcysmummy87 Tue 29-Nov-16 11:56:43

My little girl is 15 weeks and from being about 6wks we have gone with the bedtime routine of bathing her, feeding her then putting her down between 7-8pm. She normally goes through until about 4-5am then wakes up to fed then goes back down in our bed till about 8-9am, the last few weeks that appears to have gone out the window and over the last few days more so she's been waking up every hour on the hour, not wanting fed but just disturbing and vocalising. I resorted to lifting her over into our bed at about 2am last night and she appeared to settle fine but if I'm honest it's not a pattern I want to get into but at the same time I am desperate for sleep! Please help x

FATEdestiny Tue 29-Nov-16 13:22:16

Baby's sleep has matured. It's natural and normal. Now you need to work at developing ways to help her settle to sleep.

For the first 3 or 4 months baby is in the "fouth trimester". Like when in the womb, sleep is passive. As long as all needs are met, baby will be asleep. During this newborn stage, over all 24h of the day, baby only wakes when a need is unmet (hunger, uncomfortable nappy or temprature, or pain) and as soon as that need is met (full tummy, clean nappy etc) then baby will go back to the passive state of sleep.

From about 3 or 4 months old baby's sleep matures and develops. She starts sleeping in cycles with brief light sleeping phases between one sleep cycle and the next, like and adults slerp. Now getting to sleep is no longer passive, it's active. You and baby have to work at it.

So this phase is a perminany change. It will last as long as it takes for you and baby to find ways that work to get baby to sleep.

Some things that are known to work:

- Dummy! Sucking is a natural comforting method for a baby. Dummies are amazing for independant sleep
- Movement. Rocking, pushchair, bouncy chair, car, sling
- Feeding to sleep.
- Reassurance. Cosleeping, lying down cuddles, being held, patting, shushing, stroking. Swaddles/being tucked in also provide reassurance if use from newborn.

Timetogrowup2016 Tue 29-Nov-16 16:42:21

Yes
4 month sleep regression . Very common and normal .
I recommend a dummy if you can all though if co slerping works no need to feel guilty .

ineedwine99 Wed 30-Nov-16 13:36:39

Hi, hope your LO starts to settle soon OP, so many phases they go through!
So sorry for hijacking the thread but i think my baby might have started the regression, 16 weeks old, goes to bed at 6:30, we wake her at 10 for a feed and she goes straight back to sleep until 6:30am ish, been like this for about 6 weeks, last night she woke at 4am then again at 5:15am, does that sound like the regression? We just left her in her cot chattering away (she's in our room) and got herself back to sleep after about 15 mins (we always put her down drowsy so she's hopefully learned to self settle)
She's still swaddled in a grosnug and has white noise. Is there anything we should be doing to help her? We have a routine everyday which she's sticking to, though her morning and afternoon naps have become c30 min 'cat naps'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now