7 mo waking multiple times - am on edge!

(6 Posts)
selondonite Fri 25-Nov-16 07:21:08

Help. I have a toddler and 7 mo. Baby goes down well for naps, probably has 2.5-3 hours in day. Goes down well at 7 as well after bath but then usually wakes at around 10, 1, 4, then up at 5:30, then tired again at around 7. I can't cope!
I am trying to shush pat but recently he's been wailing so bad I resort to feeding and/or co sleeping. I know this is now probably the issue but I'm just trying to function at the moment as I gave toddler to deal with as well in the day. Should I give controlled crying a go? Or should I be stronger with the shush patting and no feeding? As soon as I pick him up it's game over. I can't think straight at the moment.

FATEdestiny Fri 25-Nov-16 17:34:55

Babies need some form of comfort in order to get to sleep, what have you set up as her comfort?

Comforting methods can be parental (cosleeping, rocking, feeding, cuddling) or independant and don't need a parent (dummy, snuggle blanket, ritualistic movements etc).

At 7 months baby is likely to still need support to access the indeoe6ndant settling methods because of immature physical dexterity. But they could be established ready for the coming months as her dexterity improves.

Aside from that, might be worth tackling the reason for her light sleeping. What's her daytime sleep routine like? I'm guessing she's over tired and needs less awake time and nore frequent naps.

selondonite Tue 29-Nov-16 08:50:57

Thanks. Ok he has a dummy and comforter and ewan sheep plus bedtime routine.

Daytime he self settles. Though has never been good in the car or prom. He's been used to sling, rocking and feeding to get to sleep. The self settling in the day is recent. He probably has 2-3 hours. Though maybe needs more if he's not sleeping solidly at night?

I wonder if he's cold? Or doesn't like the cot in the middle of the room? (single bed to side)

I don't think I can do CC. I've started not picking him up now at night but just shushing and patting but it's taking ages. He usually now wakes around 10 and I feed him. Then 1:30 ish and I feed him again, then 5. The issue is he takes about an hour to get back to sleep at the moment. I don't think he needs feeding either though he does seem to take a full feed.

TiffanyAtBreakfast Tue 29-Nov-16 10:06:16

No useful advice but I just wanted to say I feel your pain! My 7mo is doing similar and it's exhausting. Plus he's my only child, I don't know how you're coping. Are you weaning yet? Maybe he's hungry?

golfmonkey Tue 29-Nov-16 12:26:04

Selondonite I think we are in exactly the same boat, and I have no answers. My almost 2yr old is a good sleeper thankfully but doesn't help in the day. My 7mo is a nightmare with sleep - like your ds settles at bedtime and naps (mostly) without a feed and just a dummy and comforter. Then wakes about 9, then every hour. I have tried to feed her less and settle her in the cot without picking her up but it takes ages and is so exhausting. I have thought about cc but as dd2 needs a dummy to be calm, but can't get it back in herself I think it would just be cruel at the moment. And I have wrestled with the idea of getting rid of the dummy but don't think I can face it tbh and think they are more help than hindrance in the grand scheme of things.

What I would say is that if you are so exhausted that you can barely function in the day and you don't enjoy life, it's worth trying something whatever it is. I'm going to try formula for the first feed tonight which may help with a longer strench after it....or may just give me more work. Dd2 has 1 bottle a day atm and am going to wean off bf by the end of jan (probably before), so we will see if this helps.

Feel free to share stuff you're trying and if it works! I feel your pain, hugs xxx

FATEdestiny Tue 29-Nov-16 12:58:52

He probably has 2-3 hours. Though maybe needs more if he's not sleeping solidly at night?

It's more about time awake them time asleep. At 7 months of expect 90m-2h awake time between one nap and the next.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now