10 month old wakes every hour

(14 Posts)
Mammamia07 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:14:12

I couldn't find a thread that fits this, I'm sorry if there already is one!

My little girl is nearly 11 months and goes down to bed, in her own room at about 8 ever night. I nurse her to sleep and she falls asleep quite quickly but then wakes every hour (sometimes gives me two hours!) through the night. She just wants a quick feed and then falls straight back to sleep but it's getting a bit old... She comes in to bed with us at about 2am when I just can't handle getting up anymore, but continues to feed every hour till morning.
I know it's just for comfort but I don't want to do any cry it out methods. I just don't know what's going to happen when we stop breast feeding. Has anyone been/going through this?

TooMinty Tue 22-Nov-16 21:32:14

At 11 months you could consider night weaning but continue to BF during the day? Not sure how you will do it with no crying though - can your OH settle her?

TooMinty Tue 22-Nov-16 21:33:30

Have you tried bf til drowsy but not asleep at bedtime then putting her down awake?

Mammamia07 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:51:48

She's never been able to settle herself to sleep. She's a very active baby and fights sleep with everything she's got! I would consider night weaning, she's not feeding for hunger during the night and definitely gets enough during the day. Have you done night weaning? My OH had tried but she just fights him, wakes up properly and then takes longer to fall asleep again

TooMinty Tue 22-Nov-16 22:00:18

For me the secret was to put them down awake to settle to sleep (although involved crying with DS1, not DS2). Then when they woke during the night I sent DH in. I night weaned both at 7 months but continued to bf until 13 months. Do you leave her a bit to see if she will self settle?

TooMinty Tue 22-Nov-16 22:03:45

When she is 1, you can switch bedtime feed to a cup of milk then see if she will go down without bf? But sounds like comfort sucking which I had with DS1 and the only options seemed to be co-sleeping or sleep training (with crying).

denise77 Tue 22-Nov-16 22:08:28

This sounds like both my Dds. I brought a book called the no cry sleep solution and followed the tips in there. To be honest they didn't sleep properly until I stopped breastfeeding them, then they learned to sleep by themselves.

Mammamia07 Tue 22-Nov-16 22:10:05

Yeah I watch her on the monitor for a bit, she sits up for a bit looking around and then realises she's not in our bed and stands up screaming. How did your DSs take to your DH going in instead of you?

Mammamia07 Tue 22-Nov-16 22:12:28

Denise77 Ive never really understood no cry methods. Did your DDs cry following that book?

TooMinty Tue 22-Nov-16 22:13:15

Not impressed but they went back to sleep with some cuddling eventually when it became apparent no boobs would be supplied. Then stopped waking after a few nights. But this was after they had learned to self settle! Haven't seen the "No Cry Sleep Solution" so maybe check that out for other tips?

Excellentstick Tue 22-Nov-16 22:23:53

Both mine were like this and didn't sleep until breastfeeding stopped at night. They were both breastfeeding at night for comfort but by this point I was at work and absolutely exhausted so something had to give. In both cases, DH started putting them to bed (as opposed to me feeding them to sleep) and he would get up with them when they woke up and settle them back down. It involved crying, I'm sorry!! But they were with DH and being comforted. The first night would be horrible but by the third/fourth they would be much easier to settle and then after that they slept through. It is horrible knowing that you can stop them from crying but I HAD to do it because I couldn't function in the day. Im not sure how it could be done without crying in all honesty.

Mammamia07 Tue 22-Nov-16 22:27:19

I suppose if she has to cry at least she's got her Daddy holding her. Now I just have to try and convince him to get up! Thanks for everyone's help!

May09Bump Tue 22-Nov-16 22:35:41

Check that she hasn't got rhinitus, enlarged tonsils (gp looks at nose / throat for enlargement) or allergies (you would see other symptoms with allergies) before sleep training. My son woke every two hrs for yrs (sorry) and he had allergies plus rhinitus, once identified and treated he slept through the night within a month. I felt bad because I hadnt explored these reasons - but again neither had consultants, until I pushed further.

Hopefully, its a case of comfort feeding and you find a solution that fits your family - but worth checking above too.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 22-Nov-16 22:42:21

We went through this just a few weeks ago. She then cut two molars and a front tooth in 72 hours.
We also took advantage of MrP having a 5day weekend to get her used to him resettling her for any pre-midnight wake ups. She shouted. A lot. But has consistently slept better since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now