Talk

Advanced search

1 year old still wakes every night for a feed

(5 Posts)
mrsmoomoopoopoo Mon 21-Nov-16 11:48:06

My dd turned 1 a couple of weeks ago and still wakes every night for a feed. When she turned 1 I switched to cows milk and she slept through for about 2 weeks then got ill and is now waking every night again.
She's not poorly anymore but the night feeds still continue.

I'm not sleep deprived or anything as I'm used to getting up in the night with her but just a bit fed up that she still wakes when all other babies I know started sleeping through well before they turned 1.

When she wakes I bf her but for all other feeds she has a bottle of cows milk. I think bf'ing may be part of the problem as I think its more of a comfort thing but when I've tried giving her a bottle in the night she just gets frustrated and upset and won't take it.

I don't think its hunger/ thirst as she eats and drinks really well through the day.

How much longer will this go on for? Stupid question I know but would be interested to hear what other peoples babies do at this age and when will it stop!!

Thanks xx

FATEdestiny Mon 21-Nov-16 13:26:24

Does she have an alternate source of comfort to get to sleep?

You're right, the bf will be mostly about comfort. ND is about so much more tsn just milk.

Children have been shown to not have the emotional development to go to sleep without comfort until school age. So have you set up an alternate way for her to access comfort that isn't breastfeeding?

mrsmoomoopoopoo Tue 22-Nov-16 20:18:17

Hi Fate,

Yes she has a teddy for comfort that she uses to get to sleep.

Do you think I should start offering her a bottle for night feeds? And if she refuses then what do I do? Offer her boob?

Thanks

FATEdestiny Tue 22-Nov-16 20:47:37

I doubt she'll be hungry enough for a bottle. I bet the breastfeeds are more about comfort than milk.

You could try comforting to sleep a different way if you particularly want to cut the night breastfeeds. But a quick feed might end up being the quickest and easiest way to get you both enough sleep.

Etak15 Tue 22-Nov-16 20:53:59

It's a comfort thing, my 23 month old still wakes for a feed! My other 3 did too. In my experience it's not something that they stop doing, only stopped when I stopped bf - which I did about 19-20 months ish with others - but have always been pregnant with next one -and stopped because I wanted a few months off before newborn! now I'm not so its gone on a bit longer! Co-sleeping was the best thing for us so you can feed in your sleep almost!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now