Talk

Advanced search

Sleeping on tummy (baby)

(14 Posts)
passingthrough1 Sun 20-Nov-16 11:20:07

So I have our baby on back only since the start although he used to switch to his side himself but he has always been a terrible sleeper and just seemed in pain and most of the time on his back, I assume from gas etc. He sleeps best lying on his tummy on me (which is how we do every single nap) but now can tolerate some back lying at the start of the night when he's typically not that gassy from a day of being upright a lot (buggy, carrier, being carried, napping on me etc).
Our sleep pattern is now - fairly good few hours lying on back but then once he's up he's constantly comfort BFing, then getting gassy and unable to sleep well.. so wakes up again and again and again.. I am having to rock and wind all night and he's just so heavy now.
How bad would trying some sleep on his front be? He's 4.5 months so past the most dangerous time for SIDS.. And would a gro bag not work for tummy sleeping?

Karoleann Sun 20-Nov-16 11:24:34

The risk is still very significant under 6 months, unless your 4 mo was very mobile and able to turn itself very easily in the cot, I wouldn't put them to sleep on their back.

Have you tried putting something under the cot mattress to raise up his head slightly?

FockerFun Sun 20-Nov-16 11:27:04

Wouldn't risk it, he'll be out this phase so soon.
Although they are supposed to be flat could you incline him?

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 20-Nov-16 11:30:15

I had no choice with my kids. Both refused to sleep on their backs. Dd1 was a side sleeper converting to tummy as soon as she could roll.

Dd2 you'd think I was trying to murder her should I even suggest it...

I thought I'd get screwed at by the hospital when she was admitted but the Dr just said " baby needs to sleep. So do you"

She had cmpi and I'm guessing it was too painful to sleep on her back....

ChipIn Sun 20-Nov-16 11:31:18

Is he able to roll himself onto his back? And does he sleep with his arms free to move? If yes to both then although there is a sids risk below 6 months he at least should be strong enough to lift his head and cry if he gets into strife. If no, I wouldn't risk it.

I know babies who slept on their tums from around 6-8 weeks and were fine but I was always rolling my DD to her back if she did it herself until around 5 months. Then I was confident she was strong enough to sort herself out if she got in an awkward spot.

passingthrough1 Sun 20-Nov-16 11:36:10

That's the thing, it's seemed to be actually painful for him. I could never use the pram on the bassinet setting because he cried constantly.
Sleeping on me, kangaroo care style (which I know is sort of the exception to the front sleeping rule as it can be very beneficial) has been an absolute life saver.
I'm just struggling getting through the nights when I seem to be holding him and rocking for so long still and honestly he's getting so heavy it's really causing me a lot of pain now.
I'll try and hold out a few more months but it's just so hard when he looks just SO tired but can't sleep.

passingthrough1 Sun 20-Nov-16 11:38:35

He can lift his head and chest up really well and for quite a long time but hasn't rolled over yet.
He's on his tummy (on me) right now. I honestly think poor thing that he sleeps more from his naps like this than he does at night.

Pocketsizedpixie Sun 20-Nov-16 11:39:34

Have you investigated reflux/allergies with him? It does sound like he's very uncomfortable, perhaps some reflux mens might help make him more comfortable on his back. Apologies if you've already been down this route.

SolomanDaisy Sun 20-Nov-16 11:40:22

I wouldn't do it, because I have watched my premature DD on monitors. She's been put to sleep in her front by the nurses when she's really unsettled with wind and she is much more comfortable but it also causes her heart rate to drop and occasionally her breathing. I'd never do it now she's not on monitors. Have you tried a warm cloth tightly over his stomach? It really helps.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 20-Nov-16 11:41:25

Hmm mm have you spoken to the gp, ruled out reflux or an intolerable of some kind?

I realise there will be a million people who will come here and say that babies don't sleep and it's normal blah blah blah but I really don't think it is normal to never sleep unless something is actually wrong.

Even babies who like to be held all the time many will still sleep in the pram if moving at least.

This does sound like more than just wanting to be held by you.

I'd try a dr..ask fir an appointment with one you trust

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 20-Nov-16 11:41:55

Intolerance

Bloody autocorrect

FATEdestiny Sun 20-Nov-16 12:54:40

Have you tried a dummy?

Dummies are proved to lower SIDS risk.

Dummies are also recommend as a way to treat reflux and crying for no reason (ie colic)

passingthrough1 Wed 23-Nov-16 13:19:19

Well, I'm not sure but I think it was a combination of things: he has tongue tie and from that got/he's pretty gassy and for a while I had oversupply making things worse (have posted about the TT before) and I do think he probably had some reflux, the doctor at his 8 week check said it sounded like it but we never discussed further (by then I'd learnt to basically live with him in baby carrier and he was suddenly crying maybe 60% less).
It's honestly SO much better now and he's fine on his back playing but I think that's because he alternates between back/ tummy / being carrries so much that it just winds him during the day. Also the naps on me help.
He's fine in pram now we've changed to the upright setting. And he's even fine for the first stretch of sleep because he doesn't seem to be that windy at that time.
It's literally just the comfort feeding that I think most BF babies like to do on and off through the night, maybe because he does it lazily and just falls off a bit as he's just using for comfort that then he gets grassier and in more pain throughout the night. I often have to get him up by 6 and do a bit of baby massage because by then he's getting a bit upset.

Honestly I just need to remind myself how much better it is now. He hardly cries now and is happy. I think I'm going to give up on the co sleeping I was trying (in order to not get up umpteen times a night because in my case I still have to get up to wind him anyway). Last night I managed to not feed him one of the times he woke and just cuddle him which worked for a while so maybe I can cut feeds down that way. I know it sounds like a stupid problem but the walking around and rocking him throughout the night it just getting so much, he's just so heavy and I have come close to dropping him before.

passingthrough1 Wed 23-Nov-16 15:27:21

Will try a warm cloth, thanks! I'll keep a muslin or something on the radiator.

We did elevate his cot on one side near the start but it appeared to make no difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now