Talk

Advanced search

Is it ok to encourage just one nap?

(9 Posts)
peardropz Sun 20-Nov-16 08:12:00

Dd has just turned 1, she started having a long nap in the morning and then a rubbish afternoon nap so I started waking her from the morning one and that worked well. However sometimes she'll still resist the afternoon nap so I'm wondering if its transition time. BUT she starts nursery next week, 2 mornings, finishing at 1, by the time I'm home and getting her ready for her nap it'll be 1.30 is that too late for a nap if it's their only one?

Can you tell I'm an overthinking ftm?

scrumptiouscrumpets Sun 20-Nov-16 11:01:43

No, you're not overthinking it! It's always tricky when they're reducing the number of naps. What do they do at nursery with the little ones, do they put them down in the morning? I'd try to keep the morning nap. She is quite young to be transitioning to just one nap, and putting her down at 1.30 is late! She may be at the stage where she needs a short morning nap and a longer afternoon nap.
Sorry this isn't much help!

Metalhead Sun 20-Nov-16 12:26:18

My DD2 is just coming up to 1 and usually has a morning and an afternoon nap. However, on days when we're out at groups in the morning she only has one long nap after lunch, around 12.30-2.30/3pm. She also starts nursery in January and I imagine with everything going on there she won't want to have two naps. It obviously depends on the child, how much sleep they need etc but I think one nap is fine at this age, as long as it's at least a couple of hours.

Soubriquet Sun 20-Nov-16 12:28:56

Mine have always only had the one nap.. I try to do it around 11ish and they sleep for two hours so it's a morning/afternoon nap

They then go to bed for 6 anyway so they only awake for a maximum of 4 hours at a time. Works well for us

Nicnak2223 Sun 20-Nov-16 12:29:58

Ms ds is almost one and I'm having the same dilemma 2 naps are few and far between in this house as it is all very dependent on what is going on in the day. If he has one nap of 2hours plus he is fine albeit grumpy before bed. Sorry that's no help.

Eminybob Sun 20-Nov-16 12:36:23

DS had 2 naps until he started nursery at 14 months. The afternoon one was getting more difficult at that point, whereas he was always ready for the morning one.

At his nursery they did just one nap at 12, so he fell into that pattern at home eventually too. It's difficult one for you though if she finishes nursery at 1, you'll need to ask what they do nap wise.

DS is 2 now and still has his afternoon nap after lunch, he can go down from as early as 11 if we need him to be up for the afternoon, but can also wait until closer to 2 if need be.

FATEdestiny Sun 20-Nov-16 13:09:10

by the time I'm home and getting her ready for her nap it'll be 1.30 is that too late for a nap if it's their only one?

It's late. But not too late to give it a try.

Your biggest challenge will be keeping her awake on the way home from nursery.

MYA2016 Sun 20-Nov-16 13:14:24

I'm also struggling with this only ds is 10mo and he fights his morning nap. He will go down at 11.30am eventually some days but still only have an hour so by 4.30 he is absolutely exhausted. I miss the 2 good naps we were having!
I do feel for you in your situation as like fate says the biggest issue will be staying awake on way home from nursery.
I bloody hate the car 5 min naps as ds seems to thinks he's been asleep for an hour so I have no chance of getting him back off again for hours on end.
Hope you get it sorted

peardropz Sun 20-Nov-16 13:33:37

Thanks all, it's a tough transition and 1 nap is so much easier to work around isn't it! Like a pp she's always up for the first nap but the 2nd one is hit and miss and on the days she fights it completely she's obviously exhausted by bedtime!

They have nap about 10 at nursery and lunch at 12 (the ones who stay all day obviously
nap about half 12) so I guess I'll see if they manage to get her to nap in the morning and then she can have an afternoon one when we get home and then a later bedtime. Like fate says I'm pretty sure if she doesn't have a morning nap she'll fall asleep in the buggy on the way home (we walk)! I've been able to transfer her to the cot in the past so it's not a major problem but she definitely won't have a good nap in buggy unfortunately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now