Talk

Advanced search

Sleep associations

(8 Posts)
Carta60 Mon 14-Nov-16 12:46:29

I have not really taken much notice of the sleep associations I have taught 4 month old DD as a first time mum, just done what I thought was best, feeding to sleep, co-sleeping occasionally, cuddling, rocking, naps in sling, car, pram etc.... needless to say nights are now pretty awful as waking every sleep cycle for help to get back to sleep.
Are there are mums out there who didn't sleep train and did the same as me but saw any natural improvements? TIA

Beansprout30 Mon 14-Nov-16 19:25:39

Following as going through the same and not sure what to do for the best

TangerineTrees Mon 14-Nov-16 20:46:17

Yep! DS was similar until he was about 6 months (not waking every sleep cycle but every few hours). Then got slowly better. He's now 10 months and sleeps 7-6am without waking. He is cuddled to sleep and we've never sleep trained. At some point we'll have to work on him falling asleep alone but fine for now. We let him figure it all out by himself in his own time and he did. Hope that's a light at the end of the tunnel for you!

Carta60 Tue 15-Nov-16 06:00:24

Thanks for the reply I hope things settle at 6 months ish too I know there are so many other things to contend with but if she would just do 2/3 hours in her crib that world be wonderful.

Carta60 Tue 15-Nov-16 06:01:10

How are you coping beansprout30? Awful isn't it confused

Kstar8 Tue 15-Nov-16 06:09:23

I'm beginning to think about starting sleep training (hate calling it that) with my 12 DD.
I've done all the same things as you and now I can't get her to sleep in the day unless she is on the move or being BF. Night feeds take for ever as she will only fall asleep feeding but if I carefully de-latch her she wakes. If we stay at home in the day she won't nap easily and is then wired and irritable at night.
I thought I was being a wonderful attachment parent-y type but now I think it's causing problems for her as she cannot/doesn't get enough quality sleep.
So no helpful advice from me - I've just read a book that advises to keep resettling but not feeding when not fed long ago and to try and disassociate feeding with sleep.

ManaFleet Tue 15-Nov-16 06:35:31

I've been awake feeding almost all night. 4.5 mth DS was an amazing sleeper, 8 hours a night guaranteed. Suddenly, we're on three feeds overnight followed by awake and chatting at 6am. It's been about a week now.

I did the same as you, went with what felt natural, and now an zombified.

Watching with interest brew

Beansprout30 Tue 15-Nov-16 09:34:45

Carta we are having good and bad nights so sometimes I'm getting the chance to catch up on sleep. I'm trying the shush pat method at night and trying to break away from feeding to sleep. I hope she's not too young for this but I don't want it to get ten times harder Ina couple of months when I have to think about going back to work.

I got her settled twice last night doing this but it took an hour each time. Not sure if it's something I need to do during the day too for it to fully work

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now