18 week old night waking

(10 Posts)
PeanutJuice Tue 08-Nov-16 13:03:54

My 18 week old DD has always been a good night time sleeper. (Day time naps are a different story) she has been sleeping from 6/7pm through to 6/7am consistently for a while now, but will usually wake for a feed at 4/5am. This does not bother me as she feeds for 15 mins max (breastfed) and goes back down easily. Even if she is awake when I get back down she is able to self-settle as go back off to sleep for a few hours. My questions are, does she need this feed, or is she waking out of habit? If I wake her to dream feed at 10/11 (when I go to bed) would this replace the need for the 5am feed? Why is she able to self settle at night time, but not at all during the day? Any answers/ideas/discussion is much appreciated!

Nottalotta Tue 08-Nov-16 14:28:52

I am.no expert, but would say if it's not broken, don't fix it. This sleep pattern is amazing for her age. I wouldn't mess with it!! Ds is 15.5 months old and slept through for the first time ever last night, 7-5. And has never napped well.

Also, you might find it all changes at some point so take the good while it's on offer!

Cosmicglitterghoul Tue 08-Nov-16 14:32:06

My 22 month old does this (with a bottle). She takes it at around 4.30 then is straight back to sleep. I keep thinking we should stop but as it's relatively easy I can't be bothered. She sleeps 7-6.45ans has a two hour nap in the day. Not helpful info, but you're not alone.

Timetogrowup2016 Tue 08-Nov-16 14:39:49

Just wanted to say day and night sleep see very different to babies re her settling at nigjt and not in the day .
Dd is a great night time sleeper but rubbish napper generally

Orangedaisy Tue 08-Nov-16 14:40:53

No idea what would work to change things but in your shoes I would do nothing. Would have given my eye teeth for 1 wake up at 18 months, let alone 18 weeks!

lornathewizzard Tue 08-Nov-16 14:40:53

Still needing at least one night feed at 18weeks is really not unusual. Dd1 had one until about 9 months. It's worth a try with a dream feed but as pp said if it ain't broke!

I would maybe try and sort daytime naps though if you're having probs. Good daytime sleeping should help with nighttime sleeping in the long run

Cosmicglitterghoul Tue 08-Nov-16 14:43:55

Oh sorry, I read 18 months not weeks. That's amazingly good.

GoofyTheHero Tue 08-Nov-16 14:50:31

I wouldn't do anything at that age. At 18 weeks DD1 and DD2 were feeding 3-4 times a night and up at 5am.

GoofyTheHero Tue 08-Nov-16 15:05:04

(DD2 has just started sleeping through in the past 3 weeks, she's 16 months)

Ginseng1 Tue 08-Nov-16 19:45:58

My 16 week old does this - sounds v similar actually. Not great day time napper but will doze if I bring for walk / in car. But by 7 is hanging for bed n wakes between 4-5 for 20/30 min bf n back down no bother til 7 r 8. I tried the dream feed but she too sleepy n still woke at 5. My oldest was similar n he eventuallly stretched out that feed to 6 then 7 at around 6 or 7 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now