Help with DD 3.10 shouting about her duvet in the night

(16 Posts)
belleface Thu 27-Oct-16 20:55:36

DD is 3.10 and has taken to shouting out in the night. She shouts 'it's messy! it's messy!' at the top of her voice until we go in to help her. It's because her duvet has got wonky in the night and she wants us to put it back straight.

She's clearly capable of doing it herself, and will do so in the daytime if we talk to her about it and agrees that she should and can do it herself. But she won't in the night. Usually one of us goes in, straightens it out and leaves immediately and she goes straight back to sleep immediately. Last night DH tried to reason with her and get her to do it herself, or at least get her to do it with him, but she just got very upset and refused. So he did it for her and again she went straight back to sleep. If we leave her a bit, or shout back to her to do it herself, she just refuses and keeps shouting.

So it seems that she's not completely awake when this happens, she will talk to us but then just goes back to sleep without a peep even though she's just been shouting the house down.

Sometimes she says it and actually the duvet seems fine. I wonder if she's having a bad dream but somehow then focuses on the duvet as she can't quite understand the dream thing. Or maybe it's when she wets her nappy - she's not yet dry every night, but she is some nights. It's not every night, sometimes she'll just sleep straight through but recently it seems to be more frequent.

So what do we do? I'm permanently knackered (once I'm awake in the night it takes me ages to get back to sleep angry) and so is DH so we want to sort this out! Do we leave her to shout and see if she'll eventually give up? We've not done this so far for fear she'll wake up DS (16mo) who is in the room next door. Do we carry on helping her and hope that she calms down? Do we try and reason with her? Maybe we should try a bigger duvet and wedging it under the bed so it can't move?

Any suggestions welcome!

CurtainsforRonnie Thu 27-Oct-16 21:02:25

DD has the gro-to-bed duvet set. Its fab.

The duvet has poppers, then the duvet cover is zipped to the bottom shet & the pillow slots in the gap.

We got ours from Argos. They have them on offer sometimes. DD is a big 3.5 year old & it fits perfectly on her toddler bed.

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Thu 27-Oct-16 21:02:46

My Dd is 5.5yo sand still calls for me in the night. Lost bunnies, wonky duvet, she's upside down in the bed.
The best worst is the sleep shouting. When she's over tired she talks/ shouts in her sleep. So I stagger through and she's snoozing away!

I have no advice but by 4ish I could get Ds to sort his own duvet by day and then he started doing it at night. Dd is a different kettle of fish.

CurtainsforRonnie Thu 27-Oct-16 21:03:41

gro to bed

(Cheaper elsewhere though & lots of designs)

idontlikealdi Thu 27-Oct-16 21:07:43

The DTs 5.5 like their duvets tucked under the bed and I still get called at night to return them. I just do it and get a sleepy cuddle at the same timesmile

OohNoDooEy Thu 27-Oct-16 21:10:19

We went in and told him to fix it himself. Not the first time but once we cottoned on

Poocatcherchampion Thu 27-Oct-16 21:13:18

We just fix it and go back to bed. We have 3 under 5 though so we just get on with it.

I find if I am over stressed i finds it harder to get back to sleep. Can you try to tackle that side of it?

ILoveMyMonkey Thu 27-Oct-16 21:17:54

DS kept coming uncovered when he rolled in the night then waking as he was cold. I was so sick of it I bought him a double duvet and we haven't had a problem since because it's so massive on a single bed that it touches the floor on both sides. Could a bigger duvet help her to not end up wonky?

TooTweeOrNotTooTwee Thu 27-Oct-16 21:18:16

We have a big duvet wedged under mattress. Now she shouts about other things though...confused

SansaClegane Thu 27-Oct-16 21:20:33

I don't think the duvet is the issue tbh; it's probably more a need to see you or DH. It's likely a phase and will pass. For now, I'd just do it and leave it at that, rather than trying to argue in the night!

AddictedtoGreys Thu 27-Oct-16 22:23:51

My DS was exactly the same with his toddler duvet. I changed it to a Single duvet and the problem stopped as it is too big to get all "twisted" as he said

BoysRule Thu 27-Oct-16 22:27:30

I put DSs duvet width ways and tuck it under tight on either side. He's short enough to still be covered but it doesn't move.

belleface Fri 28-Oct-16 14:13:15

Wow, thanks for all the responses, wasn't expecting much!

So I guess it seems we just have to wait it out, or maybe try some clever duvet tricks. We'll see. She didn't shout out last night, which gives me hope that one day hopefully before she's a bloody teenager she might quieten down!

belleface Fri 28-Oct-16 14:14:10

oh and poocatcher sadly i've always been a completely rubbish sleeper. have always had problems, so this is nothing new.

neversleepagain Fri 28-Oct-16 21:15:23

My twins are 4 and do this too. We get "I'm untucked, I'm untucked" repeatedly. Dt1 also wants us to take her to the loo at night so between them dh and I can get up up to 7 times a night. It's shit.

NapQueen Fri 28-Oct-16 21:17:09

We had this with dd.

We started opening the door and putting the big light on and making her do it herself from the door. She hated the shock of the light so learned to stop doing it or sorting it herself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now