Talk

Advanced search

Is this basically CC

(13 Posts)
Screamer1 Wed 26-Oct-16 19:40:34

My dd is 4 months old. She's such a good baby but when it comes to sleep she gets incredibly upset and has no clue how to just drift off.

I've started trying to wean off the constant bouncing and have instead started putting her in her cot, rubbing her belly, or holding her hand and shushing her. I never ever leave her. But she stills Screams hysterically. Even if I hold her in my arms she'll scream until she crashes out.

So, is this essentially CC? Even though I hold her and comfort her?

She goes from 0 to 100. It's so awful hearing her like that, but my back is in agony and I have a toddler so am trying to find some alternative techniques.

mikado1 Wed 26-Oct-16 19:52:27

I think if you're holding and trying to soothe her it's not cc at all.

Would she be over tired maybe if she's like that? Do you sing to her/walk her round etc? Does she go off ok in pram/sling/car? She's still v Small for being 'put down to sleep' iykwim so I think if there's a way she goes off easier (feeding /sling /rocking ) do it.. a way to wean off rocking is-rock but stop as she settles, just hold, rock again if needed, stop again.Aim is to get her to settle in still arms. Slow I know but it's still v early days.

Screamer1 Wed 26-Oct-16 19:57:07

Thanks mikado!

Possibly overtired on occasion, it's definitely worse when she's overtired. I will try the rocking singing. Perhaps I've jumped into trying to put her down too soon. It's just she takes so long to put down for naps my poor ds is on a constant diet of peppa pig + the withdrawal tantrums that entails!

AliceInHinterland Wed 26-Oct-16 19:57:36

It's called crying in arms as far as I know, I've had to do it sometimes second time round and she actually seems a happier baby for it hmm. My first would not have tolerated it though. He is... intense.
mikado's advice sounds good to me, if you have a baby that gets more and more hysterical it's better to nip it in the bud, whereas some calm down with a little bit of crying. You will know which kind you have!!

FATEdestiny Wed 26-Oct-16 21:54:49

Have you tried a dummy?

The simplest and easiest no crying sleep solution.

Your baby will need help to go to sleep - movement, sucking, reassurance,

orangebird69 Wed 26-Oct-16 23:24:11

What nap routine are you in at the mo? How bong is she going between naps?

orangebird69 Wed 26-Oct-16 23:24:33

Long, not bong blush

Strawberry90 Wed 26-Oct-16 23:28:05

Try a sling? TBH she just sounds a high needs baby and cc won't work. What you are doing isn't cc but she still wants more. You can battle her or give in. Personally I'd give in and sling her around to get her to sleep and let her sleep

Helloitsme87 Thu 27-Oct-16 04:40:29

My DS was the same. Only now at 9 months he has learnt to settle himself and that was only because his nursery told me he refuses to fall asleep in their arms, so that's when I started to try it and it's worked. He finally self settles unles over tired and I do have to rock him constantly. She's only a baby, I would just say go with it for now and wait until she is a bit older. My first born was a brilliant sleeper from day 1 so this has been quite a rough few months but fingers crossed we are getting there!

Tumtitum Thu 27-Oct-16 07:40:40

Not controlled crying as you are there. My DD was the same around 4 months, would cry in my arms, in the sling, whenever she thought i was trying to get her to sleep. It was overtiredness to some extent but she still cries before sleep now most of the time and she's 8 months, I think she's just a crier! TBH I think me being there made her cry harder. I couldn't have left her at 4 months but by 6 months I'd leave the room, I'd go back if it didn't ramp down but usually after the initial "argh , she's gone!" She'd calm down and it would turn to babbling and shouting. I'd then check on her but gradually stretched this out, so essentially I guess I did move to CC but it never felt like it as if she started crying really hard then I would just try to comfort her and rock her to sleep if she would let me! I posted pretty much exactly the same as you once when she was around 3 months and had been screaming with me trying to get her to sleep for two hours, so I feel your pain!! I ended up wearing ear phones and listening to music whilst jiggling in time to the music, I could still hear her but it wasn't quite so upsetting and I think me staying calmer helped her smile

Screamer1 Thu 27-Oct-16 12:39:57

Thanks everyone. We've tried the dummy. She sometimes takes it but it's hot and miss.

What qualifies as high needs? She is SO low needs when she's awake.

Abrahamkin Thu 27-Oct-16 12:45:31

Does it matter what you call it?

Strawberry90 Thu 27-Oct-16 14:42:15

Agree doesn't matter what you label but if you did want to look into baby types look at the baby whisperer types of baby - basically the idea is that every baby is different and you need to adapt how you settle and interact with them depending on their personality. It's not a bad thing to be high needs/spirited etc - might mean you have a really good attachment/bond with her. Def try the sling - she'll learn to settle herself soon enough

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now