Talk

Advanced search

Can you recommend a good monitor for an earplug wearing mother?!

(10 Posts)
hollymonster Mon 24-Oct-16 11:23:24

Hi all

I am 7 months pregnant so just typing up all the bits I'm going to need once the little one is here. Obviously she will be in with/next to me at first and for a while but my question is this..

I have worn earplugs for years. I can't sleep at all without them because I am such a light sleeper. Even hearing my husband breathing gently keeps me awake! I'm convinced I'd even hear a spider walk across the floor. Can anyone recommend some great all singing all dancing (possibly vibrating/flashing) baby monitors for when she will be in another room?

Thanks!

FATEdestiny Mon 24-Oct-16 11:32:49

You may well find things change significantly when baby is here.

You won't need an overnight monitor until baby is at least 6 months old. Before then baby stays in the parents room, for SIDs guidelines.

Once baby is in iwn room, assuming you'll have the monitor near your head in bed, you are likely to hear any monitor that is in high volume. You won't need an especially loud one.

Parents become uniquely sensitive to their baby making any noise, even with earplugs in.

NerrSnerr Mon 24-Oct-16 12:30:05

I agree with fate. We have a run of the mill Tommy Tippee monitor and it is really loud, I reckon you'll hear it. If you follow safe sleeping guidelines they'll be with you whenever sleeping for 6 mo this anyway.

hollymonster Mon 24-Oct-16 14:34:28

Thanks both, very helpful! As you say I'm sure we all just find our own flow with these things anyway.

Cheers

Rolypolybabies Mon 24-Oct-16 22:46:51

Try the Bt monitors. They have cry alerts that vibrate so you can have it on the bed next to you. X

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Mon 24-Oct-16 22:50:52

I have the Tomy video monitor. I use earplugs and it wakes me up when she cries, on under the half way volume iykwim.
Also as it's video if she makes a certain amount of noise (crying not just murmuring and sighing etc) then the screen flicks on and often the light wakes me anyway.
But I agree you and only you will develop a very sensitive ear once baby's here. smile

babsnet Mon 24-Oct-16 22:54:14

I wear earplugs too, and use a Motorola monitor. It's right by my head and I have the volume set to less than half and I still hear my 7 month old daughter very easily!

minipie Mon 24-Oct-16 23:12:54

I am a light sleeper and can hear DD cry in the next room even if wearing earplugs - without a monitor.

Earplugs don't stand a chance of keeping out a crying baby on a monitor (any monitor) next to your bed

If you are a light sleeper I would recommend a monitor where the sound transmission is not on all the time (as the low level hiss/breathing noises/baby grunting and wrigglng may keep you awake). i'd recommend one where the sound only kicks in when there is a reasonably substantial noise like a cough or cry. Angelcare are like this iirc.

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 24-Oct-16 23:23:15

I wore ear plugs. Had a sound and lights monitor. Work at the slightest grumble!!

KnitFastDieWarm Mon 24-Oct-16 23:28:44

angelcare is bloody brilliant okus has added reassurance of a motion sensor so you know breathing is ok. we moved ds int his own room at theee months as none of us were getting any sleep and this monitor has been great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now