Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Exclusively breast fed- feeding to sleep

(8 Posts)
Carta60 Fri 21-Oct-16 19:18:49

Hi mummies
I have a 14 week DD who is a great feeder and doubled her birth weight with just my milk. Sleep was good but think we have hit the 3/4 month regression and now waking every 1.5/2 hours at night. I don't mind at all as know it's all a phase that will pass and have a lot of help to catch up on rest when I can. However when DD wakes I just feed her back to sleep every time, I know she will associate this with getting back to sleep which I am ok with for the duration of my breast feeding time but I wondered if anyone knew how long this sleep regression lasts. She was previously going 4/5 hours then waking for a feed then doing another 3 hours. Hoping longer stretches of sleep resume soon. TIA x

ALongTimeComing Fri 21-Oct-16 19:21:52

It does get better! Just keep doing what comes naturally.

Diddlydokey Fri 21-Oct-16 19:26:00

It can last quite a while. You can try to get into a wake/feed/activity/sleep by offering a feed when they wake up and the using shh-pat to settle to sleep.

mmmuffins Fri 21-Oct-16 19:29:04

A couple of weeks for us. Felt like forever!

GenevaJoey Fri 21-Oct-16 20:21:55

My baby is 20 weeks, and has exactly the same pattern. She's been like this for weeks. I also breastfeed to sleep at night, but try not to in the day. I don't know how to break the pattern, or whether I should be doing something different. Should I not breastfeed her when she wakes? If I don't she will be very upset, but I wonder if she's just in a self perpetuating cycle. It's beginning to feel a lot like hard work!

Carta60 Fri 21-Oct-16 21:39:39

Hi genevajoey i know what you mean. my view is we have been given the tools to comfort them so why deny it? I have accepted this will be a massive commitment for me for a good few months but I would rather DD feel comforted and as I don't know if she is hungry/thirsty/insecure/in need of medicine all via my milk so I'd rather her decide not me. I just hope she may sleep for longer periods at night soon! All that said it's not easy! X

LifeLong13 Fri 21-Oct-16 21:48:08

My DD is BF and she's 15 months. She boobs to nap in the afternoon with me. But when DH is home (most eves!) he does bed time without boob wink or bottle.

Try downloading the wonder weeks app! Tells you exactly when sleep regressions etc start and stop. It's been pretty accurate with our DD

brewbrewbrew for the sleep regression! Wait til you hit the 12 month one! It lasts forever! envy

LifeLong13 Fri 21-Oct-16 21:49:14

Oh and she is boobed back to sleep in the night sometimes, sometimes she just snuggles in for a cuddle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now