Talk

Advanced search

Sleep in bouncy chair?

(14 Posts)
JaclynLouise Wed 19-Oct-16 22:16:42

Looking for some honest opinions and advice if you have any!
My daughter is 3 weeks old and with my last one we co-slept until she moved into a cot, this little one however has colic and I've started sleeping downstairs cus I find it easier to wake up in the night. Until we get a new sofa this weekend though, it's rather small to fit her on and the only place she really settles besides with me is is her bouncy chair with the vibrate on. I know that it's not recommended they lay in bouncy chair for too long, but she doesn't sleep more than 3 hours if I'm lucky. Does anyone have any experience with this? Bit stuck for ideas here but of course baby's health is top priority

andonwego Thu 20-Oct-16 05:50:42

Do you mean you've been sleeping with her on the sofa? That's incredibly dangerous. I co-sleep with both of mine, so I'm all for it, but putting babies to sleep on the sofa is very risky.

I wouldn't be comfortable with the bouncy chair for three hours, either - not more than a catnap, really.

Are you finding it too hard to wake up in the night while she co-sleeps with you safely in the bed? Is that what you mean?

bullshift Thu 20-Oct-16 10:16:02

Please do not fall asleep on the sofa with your baby. This is so incredibly dangerous. Babies die as a result of this.

bullshift Thu 20-Oct-16 10:19:33

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/news/20141013/sleeping-on-sofa-can-be-deadly-for-babies-study-finds

NerrSnerr Thu 20-Oct-16 10:21:15

Just to echo the others co sleeping on a settee is extremely dangerous. I also don't think bouncy chairs are recommended. Could you prop up the end of a cot?

melibu84 Thu 20-Oct-16 10:21:59

Why don't you just get a Moses basket? You can get them from as little as £40.

scaredofthecity Thu 20-Oct-16 10:22:16

A friend of a friend lost her baby because she fell asleep with her on the sofa. Please please don't do this.

scaredofthecity Thu 20-Oct-16 10:25:29

Oh and are you sure it's colic? We were told babies don't get colic till a bit later (i think 6 weeks +) My DS was difficult and turned out he had silent reflux and CMPI.
He was a different baby after gaviscon and me cutting milk out my diet (I bf)

JaclynLouise Thu 20-Oct-16 13:57:38

I should probably settle some concerns here! Only been downstairs for a couple of night which is how I sort of come across the problem, my sofa can't really be called a sofa, it's just a firm flat base with no cushions or anything cus we just moved, so she's just slept laying on me after feeds since she is literally so unsettled that we can't move! I have a basket and a swinging crib which I've tried hard to get her to sleep in (I wanted her to sleep on her own so it was easier to transition to her own bed when she is bigger) but she wakes up instantly!
I'm sure about it being colic, she went to a clinic today for cranial oestrotherapy (not spelled that right) which I've heard great things about! So I'm going to sleep in my bed again tonight and see if there are any improvements x

bullshift Thu 20-Oct-16 16:10:44

I'm pleased you're going to sleep in your bed tonight. Please read this, it talks about how to co-sleep safely if you end up bringing your baby into bed with you:

https://www.nct.org.uk/parenting/co-sleeping-safely-your-baby

It doesn't matter that your sofa doesn't fall into a conventional definition of a 'sofa'. If you are asleep and your baby is asleep, she can slip and suffocate. It is not worth the risk.

Have you tried a sleepyhead?

JaclynLouise Thu 20-Oct-16 16:27:38

Yea I'm hoping that treatment will work and we shall have an easier time in the bed, I'll give the article a browse but I have no problems sleeping in bed with her smile I have looked at those but I read on their description that they're not made for night time sleeping so I wasn't sure on that either :/

Timetogrowup2016 Thu 20-Oct-16 18:24:58

Sleepy heads are fine at night .

dontpokethebear Thu 20-Oct-16 18:28:19

Please, please, please don't sleep with your baby on you on a sofa.

bullshift Thu 20-Oct-16 20:17:12

Sleepyheads are fine for overnight sleeping. They are flat, firm and breathable. My DS has been in one since birth. He's now 9 months.

It's a hell of a lot safer than a sofa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now