Talk

Advanced search

Sling nappers! When did they stop?

(10 Posts)
DocMcFanjo Tue 18-Oct-16 11:52:24

My lovely 11week old DD2 is an epic sling napper. Also loves napping lying on my chest. Cot or buggy not so much.

For those of you whose DC mainly napped in the sling- how long did it last?

I actually don't want it to end really because it's just so handy, but I suppose she'll get too big/interested in the world eventually? Plus I have to go back to PT work when she's 4 mo so we'll have to figure some alternatives.

I just hate the palaver of naps and haven't a notion of sleep training (ever if possible!) and am very keen on any paths of least resistanceshock

DocMcFanjo Tue 18-Oct-16 16:54:54

Aaaaaand bump.

fluffikins Tue 18-Oct-16 18:50:51

My 16 month old will still do a sling nap unite happily. I tend to pram her now though as it's just easier now she's a chunk! Anything with motion for her is fine

flipflopson5thavenue Tue 18-Oct-16 19:20:28

at about 10mo I started trying to put him in his cot to nap, I'd bfeed til sleepy then lie next to him til he went to sleep. Took a few days of crying but he got it. Worked for about a couple of months. When he was about 12mo I went back to work, and he'd nap happily at nursery but at weekends and on my day off he got used to napping in buggy/sling/car and now we just vaguely plan any day so that he can nap in the car or buggy. He'll be 2yo next month and I can't remember the last time he went to sleep in his cot for a nap.

It's easier as he gets older as he can survive if he only has 45 mins of sleep say. Occasionally he'll stay asleep if I transfer him to his cot, but mostly I bring the buggy into the front room or he just stays asleep in there if we're out and about.

The other day he had a sling nap on my back for the first time in months. I loved it smile

gruber Tue 18-Oct-16 19:24:32

Um, I guess about 13-14 months really. Still naps in the (preschooler) sling at 3.5 though...like clockwork! It took a lot of determined pram pushing to stop the cycle of him
Napping on me/in the sling and it definitely wasn't going to happen earlier, hopefully you find a solution that works for you!

flipflopson5thavenue Tue 18-Oct-16 19:38:47

in the meantime, I hope you have a decent sling!

nephrofox Tue 18-Oct-16 19:57:03

I consistently tried to put down for naps in sleepyhead from about 3 months. They'd have one "big nap" in the sling but when I could afford for them to have a shortersleep then I'd put them down in the cot and fully expect them to wake up after 40 mins. By about 6 months the cot naps were long enough to count as a proper nap.

Although 18 month old still slept in sling last week when poorly 😂

DocMcFanjo Wed 19-Oct-16 08:31:09

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it can keep working for a decent while so!

I think I'll aim for short cot or stationary buggy naps while she's with the CM in the mornings and then I'll go with longer sling naps after lunch for as long as she's happy and I can carry her!

I have a Connecta which I love so might look at getting a toddler version if naps continue!

Thanks again for your experiences.

Sophia1984 Thu 20-Oct-16 18:17:37

Following with interest as I sit in darkened room with 11 week old DS napping on my chest after a day of sling napping! I'm back to work part-time at 5 months, though DH will be looking after him so just need to get a sling he can wear! DS will be put down in co while awake and alert and go to sleep himself no problem at night, but fightst sleep during day so I end up putting him in sling or rocking him.

JellyWitch Thu 20-Oct-16 18:23:21

My DS fell sleep in the sling on his 4th birthday. 2 yo DD is reticent at the moment though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now