Talk

Advanced search

Am I going crazy?

(7 Posts)
keylovesAva Mon 17-Oct-16 22:38:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FATEdestiny Tue 18-Oct-16 10:33:51

At 6 weeks babies don't really need a "bedtime" as such. There needs are pretty consistent 24 hours a day.

By all means change into bed clothes at any awake time early evening. Do a bath and whatnot if time. But no need to be ridgid with the time it happens.

A reasonable expectation in the newborn phase would be to expect awake time of around 30 minutes. This is 24 hours a day. So from first waking until you take her up to bed it might be something like:

Wake from latest nap
Feed
Nappy check & change if needed
Reswaddle (and dummy)
Finish off feed if needed
10 minute cuddle/wind
Back down to sleep

It's not usual for breastfed babies to clusterfeed in the evening. This basically involved spending all evening attached to the breast alternating between short feeds and short naps. Sometimes for an hour. Sometimes for several hours.

DocMcFanjo Tue 18-Oct-16 12:03:14

Well my DD is 11 weeks and takes about an hour or 90 mins to "settle" for bed. Same dance as you- PJs, up to darkened bedroom, feed, burp, doze, change, feed, put down, wake, more feeding etc. Ah the joy! Then eventually sleep and I do my ninja creep out avoiding creaky floorboardsgrin

I think of it as tanking her up for the night and really just introducing the concept of bedtime. She'll whittle it down in her own time- her sister was the same.

Sounds like you're doing great. First time is terrifying really- I was so worried I'd break the baby somehow! Just keep following her lead and doing what feels right. If she's happy and you're coping then it's the right thing and never mind anyone else with their clockwork babies and routine. It's all about doing what works for you... and then lying to your DMIL/family that she goes down easily and sleeps all night (learned that from experience too!).

keylovesAva Wed 19-Oct-16 08:26:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DocMcFanjo Wed 19-Oct-16 08:36:47

I know the feeling!

I think once you realise that it's actually okay to just have a loose structure to the day you relax a good bit. Not every baby ends up with a very set routine and that's fine as long as you're both happy. Their needs change so often anyway it's just easier to be led by them IMO.

My eldest never had clockwork naps- it was always "roughly" this time or that and for roughly x length etc. All good. She's two now and a delight so no harm done!

Enjoy your lovely DD. You'll never regret spending the time cuddling her and living on her timeflowers

AddictedtoGreys Wed 19-Oct-16 08:43:24

I have a 6 week old too and I just let her sleep when she sleeps and eat when she eats. We go up to bed the same time every night (about 9.30-10) when we change and feed her and put her in her Moses basket with lights off, she goes off to sleep after 10 minutes or so. Then we are up same time every day due to taking my DS to nursery. I wouldn't worry about a routine as such yet, far too early IMO.

AddictedtoGreys Wed 19-Oct-16 08:44:28

Should add my DD is also EBF

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now