5MO can't fart!

(5 Posts)
Nuala88 Sat 08-Oct-16 23:00:09

Hello fellow parents!

I'm hoping someone has a magical solution to our problem because I would love a good night's sleep!

My lil man used to sleep through 11/12 hours a night, from about 5 WO to 14WO then it all changed, I was very lucky I know!!

He is rubbish at burping after a feed, he is exclusively breastfed, it takes about 5mins for a burp to come up but I always persevere with it. He wakes up in the night with farts that he can't pass, I do baby massage in the day and massage his belly when he wakes but it doesn't seem to help, he then demands a feed, falls asleep and wakes up again an hour later with the same problem

Is there something in my diet that could be causing this or is there something I can give that will help with his wind? I have tried gripe water and baby stomach tea but they don't seem to help, any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!!

FATEdestiny Sun 09-Oct-16 22:04:29

I would suggest that all that's happened is baby has moved out of the "fourth trimester", when sleep is the easy, passive stage. Now baby is past the 12th week sleep physiology changes and it becomes hard work to get baby to sleep because it's no longer passive. Baby needs active help to sleep.

Sleep development is not linear. Everything usually does get harder around 12-14 weeks. It changes again at around 6-8 months old,so just as you think you've sorted this another change will come along.

Grasping at straws to give an explanation, any explanation, for sleep changes can lead many parents to needlessly Medicare the situation. It might be nothing more than the fact that babys sleep biology has changed.

Try:
- dummy
- rocking
- tight tucking in / swaddle
- feeding to sleep
- co sleeping
- bouncing/jiggling to sleep
- cuddling to sleep

Nuala88 Mon 10-Oct-16 22:12:26

Thanks for the advice.

I'm starting to worry that my milk is drying up and he is so windy and demanding due to dry sucking. I tried to express today and I couldn't get a full ounce out of both combined and my breasts just feel empty now, is this how your milk dries up?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 10-Oct-16 22:36:36

Your milk is not drying up (presuming you BF frequently on demand etc) At this stage your body starts to adjust and starts producing the "right" amount of milk. No more rock hard boobs grin

What makes you think he is waking with trapped wind?

Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Mon 10-Oct-16 22:45:22

Expressing milk is no way comparable to feeding. Babies suckling will get out loads more milk than a breast pump does.
One thing you could try is drinking fennel tea, it's meant to help I believe.
www.verywell.com/fennel-breastfeeding-and-increasing-breast-milk-supply-431838
It isn't the nicest taste in the world though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now