Is there a nap resistant baby support thread...?

(47 Posts)
PlayAtMidnight2 Tue 04-Oct-16 09:26:04

If not, would anyone care to join me in one? confused

TangerineTrees Tue 04-Oct-16 09:58:12

puts hand up I'll join, I'll join! Why on earth do they fight glorious, precious sleep..

user1471421772 Tue 04-Oct-16 11:08:58

Me, I'll join! I feel so cheated when it takes me longer to get him to nap than the length of time he actually naps (which is every time confused).

loveulotslikejellytots Tue 04-Oct-16 11:16:31

I'll join. Dd is nearly 9 months. She will nap for 20-30 mins twice a day. It sometimes takes longer to get her to go to sleep.

She was sleeping at night so I put up with the day time, but for the last week she's had a cold and teething so has been waking hourly. I've also gone back to work in the last three weeks. Exhausted isn't the word.

I've rearranged my days next week so I've got 5 days off in a row to try and crack naps and night time sleeping. Not entirely sure what I'm doing yet but I need to do something. My sister is a big advocate of cio it worked for my nephew, but my dd just seems like too much of a baby for that yet. I hate hearing her cry! Any suggestions?

loveulotslikejellytots Tue 04-Oct-16 11:16:37

I'll join. Dd is nearly 9 months. She will nap for 20-30 mins twice a day. It sometimes takes longer to get her to go to sleep.

She was sleeping at night so I put up with the day time, but for the last week she's had a cold and teething so has been waking hourly. I've also gone back to work in the last three weeks. Exhausted isn't the word.

I've rearranged my days next week so I've got 5 days off in a row to try and crack naps and night time sleeping. Not entirely sure what I'm doing yet but I need to do something. My sister is a big advocate of cio it worked for my nephew, but my dd just seems like too much of a baby for that yet. I hate hearing her cry! Any suggestions?

loveulotslikejellytots Tue 04-Oct-16 11:16:48

loveulotslikejellytots Tue 04-Oct-16 11:17:13

Really... I can't even post on here properly!

JustMeAndHim Tue 04-Oct-16 12:54:09

Me too! I can get him to nap but it's forced I.e. Car/pram/bouncing on a birthing ball. For the later I can't put him down either.

Nights are also getting worse. I feel like it's something I'm doing horribly wrong

TheChineseChicken Tue 04-Oct-16 12:58:00

I'll join. DD is 3.5 months. Used to take 3 x 1.5 hour naps a day but in the last couple of weeks appears to have lost the ability to go down easily and then to stay asleep. And she never naps outside the house. Our nice 3 hourly routine has also gone out the window so we are back to not knowing what is going to happen when.

TheChineseChicken Tue 04-Oct-16 12:58:09

I'll join. DD is 3.5 months. Used to take 3 x 1.5 hour naps a day but in the last couple of weeks appears to have lost the ability to go down easily and then to stay asleep. And she never naps outside the house. Our nice 3 hourly routine has also gone out the window so we are back to not knowing what is going to happen when.

PlayAtMidnight2 Tue 04-Oct-16 13:43:52

Welcome all!

My DD is 5.5 months and has never been a great napper. She's never consistently napped in her crib, usually sleeps in the pram but has to be got off to sleep with rocking or walking. Used to have the odd really decent nap in the pram but now will mostly only sleep for 30-40 minutes. Takes bloody ages to get her off to sleep in the first place too, often longer than she actually sleeps for. She's always slept pretty well at night for which I am very thankful but getting her to bed is hit and miss. She did go through a period a month or so ago of being able to self-settle at bedtime but now has to be fed to sleep, which can take a couple of hours. But that's a secondary issue really, the naps are my main concern.

She is DC3 so really feel like I should know what I'm doing! DS1 was like this for the first 3 months but after a bit of time and effort he was a fab napper. And DS2 was so chilled he'd just fall asleep for hours wherever he happened to be. DS1 is at school but I've got DS2 at home 3 days a week while I'm on mat leave so the time I can spend on settling DD for naps is very limited.

For the last week I've let her take most of her naps in the sling to try and reduce the sleep deficit, and made sure I start settling after 1.5 hours awake as by the time she looks tired she's already overtired I think, so harder to settle. She sleeps really well in it, 1-2 hours at a time, but it limits what I can do and isn't going to be an option when I go back to work. That's 6 months away but would rather sort this sooner than later.

I have the next 6 days when I won't have the older ones to deal with on my own, so determined to crack some decent naps in the crib. Not entirely sure how yet though. confused

JustMeAndHim Tue 04-Oct-16 13:52:50

I didn't say but DS is 4.5mo.

Do your little ones do well at night?

play please let us know what you decide to do. This is DC1 for me and I feel clueless about this, except that my rocking/bouncing him to sleep means he can't now settle himself, so this is technically my fault confused

PlayAtMidnight2 Tue 04-Oct-16 15:49:12

DD has always been good overnight thank goodness. If she's going to wake she usually does it as I come to bed, about 10 or 11pm-ish or about 5-5.30am so at one end of the night. Not complaining about nights at all, although would be good if she was easier to put to bed in the first place.

It's these short naps that take so much effort to bring on that are the bane of my existence. Think I'm suffering (thankfully mild) PND which certainly isn't helped by the nap issues. Also worried about neglecting my older DC, don't really get any quality time with them when DD is asleep.

I think I'm going to do some kind of shush pat arrangement for crib naps. I really don't want to leave her crying. Got a horrible feeling she's going to cry whatever I do though. sad

Got the no cry sleep solution book which I read some years ago so going to try and flick through that if I get chance (haha) later.

StepfauxWife Wed 05-Oct-16 09:16:06

Can I join please? DD2 is 6 months and I'm sat here crying like a fool after another shit night and shit nap. She was up 5 times and has just slept for 30 minutes.

It's really starting to get me down. I can't do anything. For myself or for her. She's exhausted so she whines after being awake for an hour. I feel like we're constantly getting ready for the next nap which is more of a fucking disaster than the previous one. I have DD1 twice a week and it's really not fair on her either.

I've tried sitting with her and settling her when she stirs. It's like her eyes just ping open and there's no going back to sleep. I feel like I want to go back to work and let someone else deal with her. DD1 was such a great sleeper in comparison but because she was my first, I had no idea!

PlayAtMidnight2 Wed 05-Oct-16 18:40:17

Update from day one of cracking the crib naps. Morning nap was 45 minutes in the pram as I had to go into town after dropping DS1 at school. DD took 45 minutes to go to sleep and did wake up after 30 minutes but I carried on walking and got another 15 minutes out of her.

Fed her when we got home and by the time that was done she'd been awake for 1.5 hours so moved onto settling for next nap. Decided to adapt the 4 S thing from the Baby Whisperer (Set the scene, Swaddle, Sit, Shush-pat). Shut blinds and curtains, put on white noise, don't swaddle these days but changed nappy and put on gro bag. Quietly looked through a book then sat DD on my lap cuddled into me for 5 minutes. According to the book she should have relaxed then but was actually wriggling and grinning at me grin. Then popped her in the crib with her comforter and left her to it as she seemed happy enough although not remotely sleepy. Half an hour later she still sounded happy but not as if she was planning on sleeping. She didn't look comfortable lying on the side to pat her back as it says in the book so I lay on the bed next to her (she's in a co-sleeper crib), rubbed her tummy gently and stroked down her nose when she would stay still enough to let me. By the time she'd been awake for 2.5 hours she started crying and looking obviously tired. Carried on stroking her tummy and shushing, every minute she'd go quiet and sleepy so I'd stroke down her nose. Eventually, after half an hour, she was asleep!

She woke after 45 minutes, crying again as if she was tired. Tried resettling her as before but after half an hour she was ramping it up and I thought she was probably hungry. Fed her and she immediately dropped off back to sleep, put her down in the crib and she didn't immediately wake up which is what usually happens if she feeds to sleep in the day...I had to wake her up after 1 hour 15 to go and pick up DS1 shock.

Hope this gives everyone some hope, and that it's not just beginners luck. I hate that she cried but I was with her the whole time. Really hope she was just crying because she wanted to sleep, not because she felt abandoned or anything. Decided not to try pick up put down as I felt it would wake her up more as she was dozing off at intervals. Took a huge investment of time today but I really could relax and devote my whole attention to it with no other DC here. DS2 is at nursery again tomorrow so onwards!

PlayAtMidnight2 Thu 06-Oct-16 10:13:44

So after yesterday's success DD went to bed much easier too. Fed her to sleep but it only took an hour instead of 1-2 hours. Unfortunately she woke when I went to bed just after 10, and I did the resettling stuff I'd used in the day. After 1.5 hours she was still awake, not upset, but not going to sleep, so ended up feeding her. Wish I'd gone straight for that as it was nearly 12.30 when she went back down angry. She did sleep until my alarm went off at 6.30 though so that was good.

This morning hasn't been quite so good. She eventually fell asleep after 40 minutes in the pram doing school run and going to the shop. Came home, parked her in the hallway, only for her to be wide awake 10 minutes later. So will be taking her up to bed when she's been awake 1.5 hours.

How is everyone else doing?

Spudlet Thu 06-Oct-16 10:18:35

Can I join in as I sit here rocking? DS is 9 months and is a bugger to get to nap. He's knackered but he will not drop off without a struggle.

I need him to nap so badly so I can have a shower, my hair is like string and I feel so disgusting sad But he won't.

Spudlet Thu 06-Oct-16 11:28:45

ONE FEKKING HOUR LATER DH who is working from home took over a while ago so I could shower, I think he's finally cracked and gone to sleep. Bloody hell.

We have a good routine and normally he goes down fine with a book read, the offer of a feed and a little rocking. But the last couple of days it's gone to pot! Whyyyyyyyy?!

StepfauxWife Thu 06-Oct-16 12:05:34

My issue isn't so much getting DD2 to sleep (although she still is held to sleep most of the time), it's getting her to stay asleep!

I've been trying the sleep cycle blender approach as set out in the No Cry Nap Solution book - you basically watch them like a hawk and when they show signs of stirring, you resettle them in the same way. With DD1, this was patting. With DD2, it means getting her out of the cot and resettling her. I tried it this morning and she slept for an hour!

We're onto the next nap now. She wailed for a few minutes and then fell asleep in my arms. Fingers crossed we get another good one.

Does anyone else find that it's almost as if their babies have a finite amount of daytime sleep? So two good early naps means one rubbish or non-existent later one?

StepfauxWife Thu 06-Oct-16 12:05:57

Spudlet - could it be teeth? That's my answer to everything!

Spudlet Thu 06-Oct-16 13:14:38

I don't think so, but it's possible. He just goes through these phases every so often. He's just learned to crawl so I think that's blown his mind a bit. Leave him in the cot and he starts doing laps confused

Rinceoir Thu 06-Oct-16 13:23:02

My baby is now a toddler and past the age of naps- I just want to give you all some hope by telling you about her! Until she was 11 months old she catnapped, 30-45mins, twice daily on a good day. All of a sudden, after I gave up on all efforts to extend her naps (and believe me I tried everything!) she suddenly dropped to one nap, which lasted a glorious 1.5-2hours.

A good friend (who I met at a baby group; we bonded over our catnappers) had the very same experience. I think it's developmental.

user1474026214 Fri 07-Oct-16 12:31:59

I have had enough of my shit napper and shit night time sleeper , which is making everything just shit!!!!! Honestly, I have no energy to get anything done and feeling very guilty about it.

PlayAtMidnight2 Fri 07-Oct-16 14:12:08

Things are going ok here. Yesterday was a bit of a disaster as got DD down at lunchtime in about 20 minutes and she protested far less about it. Unfortunately after 40 minutes DH phoned my mobile, which was in the room with DD generating white noise, and woke her up angry. By the time it looked like she might go back to sleep I had to get her up to collect DS1 from school. She did go to bed like a dream at 6.30 though, and slept pretty well.

Today we are having definite success with getting her settled in the crib, not so much with lengthening naps. 40 minutes this morning, after half an hour of settling and her really fighting sleep. Put her down again at 12, chewing her cat toy, came back half an hour later and she'd gone off to sleep herself which was a huge triumph halo. Unfortunately she woke after 35 minutes and no luck at resettling even though she was still yawning her head off. She's now hungry but has gone to sleep on my boob so might see if I can transfer her back to bed.

Stepfaux you sounded much more positive yesterday, hope things are still improving. I think I may need to do similar, come back into the room when I'm expecting DD to wake up, so that I'm ready to resettle immediately. I find the opposite to you, the more she naps the more she wants to nap. Maybe partly because it puts me in a positive mood to see through settling for the next nap smile.

StepfauxWife Fri 07-Oct-16 20:09:14

That's great news OP. I feel quite sorry for these siblings who get disturbed because of their older brothers or sisters. DD2 fell asleep in her buggy this afternoon only to be woken 20 minutes later by an excitable DD1 sad

I am feeling more positive, partly because DD2 has only been up once during the night for the past couple of nights, and has settled without a feed.

We're going away on Monday so no doubt that'll throw things out even more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now