Talk

Advanced search

Leave white noise on all night?

(19 Posts)
Sun1983 Mon 03-Oct-16 21:01:39

Just that really ppl who use white noise for their babies do you turn it off when you go up to bed or do you leave it on all through the night? Hearing the same few lullabies on loop ALL through the night in the monitor has got my head battered! What do yous do? He's 8 month and this is the 3rd night he's been in his own room. Hates it has me up all night it's killing me not to pick him up every single time or to go back to old routine. But I no I need to persevere for the long run

Heirhelp Mon 03-Oct-16 21:03:36

What was your old routine? if it was him in your room and now you have him in his new room by himself, an you move into his room until he is used to it?

There is no reason why he can't sty in your room if you are happy with it.

Sandsnake Mon 03-Oct-16 21:04:53

We leave it on all night. Ours isn't lullabies but a really hardcore white noise specifically for babies with colic that sounds a bit like drum and base! Earplugs are your friend as they will muffle the sound but you should still be able to hear of your baby cries.

munchingmikeeatsanapple Mon 03-Oct-16 21:08:16

We keep it on all night. Try turning off monitor and switching it back on , the white noise doesn't come through on our monitor if it's on before the monitor is switched on iykwim!!!

Sun1983 Mon 03-Oct-16 21:33:18

It was more that my DP snores and was waking LB up..... Heirhelp
But now it seems I'm worse off because I'm up all night and inbetween that I can hear the music? I thought about sleeping in the baby's room with him and I did the first night but thought I need to get used to being back with my DP and keeping some sort of relationship ha. I'm sick there's always something nothing straight forward ha
Munching...Iv just tried turned the monitor off then bk on....yep can still hear music ha

DangerQuakeRhinoSnake Mon 03-Oct-16 21:45:34

Can't you just put it on to get baby to sleep and then turn it off? Ours goes off automatically after half an hour or so, it would never stay on all night even if we wanted it to.

angelicjen Mon 03-Oct-16 22:12:16

We play wave sounds because we find then soothing to sleep to too.
Music would drive me crazy.

Metalhead Mon 03-Oct-16 22:24:12

We had white noise on for most of the night with DD2 when she was little, but it was rain noise which I actually found quite soothing too. Gradually reduced it and now she only has it on for 20 minutes to drop off at bedtime (but still on quite loud for all daytime naps). Have you tried turning it off after a while, and does baby wake up if you do? If he's keeping you up all night anyway that suggests to me the noise isn't actually helping much (I might be wrong).

Tumtitum Mon 03-Oct-16 22:43:30

We use waves too and leave it on all night (not sure it makes much difference though!!). I actually turn sound off on our monitor as she is only two doors down from us and with our bedroom door open I easily hear her cry

Bigfam Mon 03-Oct-16 22:49:52

I use an app called baby sleep with different nosies, dd3 likes the hoover noise, I purchased the 'unlock' so it can be set to non stop and it goes on all night. She's nearly two and still has it, I also find I can sleep well with it on, and I am due another baby in december so will continue to use it.

crayfish Mon 03-Oct-16 22:51:13

We leave white noise on all night, actual white noise not music or waves or anything.

We can switch it off via the parent unit of our monitor and if we do, DS wakes instantly. We only do that if we need him to wake from a nap to go out or something though!

MartiLou Wed 05-Oct-16 00:48:39

I know how you feel! You have to try myHummy! It's a white noise toy that has a sleep sensor which means you can leave it on all night and it only comes on when your baby starts to wake up. It reacts to sound and movement (so stirring, whimpering etc). Honestly, it's a Godsend! Check it out: myhummy.co.uk
PS. It's also a lovely, cuddly toy that babies love to play with and it's machine washable (what a bonus!!)

MakeItStopNeville Wed 05-Oct-16 00:53:53

Doesn't this give you or your babies a headache?! I can't stand white noise. It hurts my ears far more than DH's snoring does!

FabFiveFreddie Wed 05-Oct-16 00:59:36

My DS, also 8mo, seems to prefer rainfall on his white noise machine. Used to make me constantly need to pee when I was in the same room! Now I have DH's snoring to contend with which makes me constantly want to smother him.

Still leave it on all night OP but have turned it down really low over last few days. Agree with pp, surely it gives him a headache??

Cathaka15 Wed 05-Oct-16 01:17:53

I bought this amazing white noise cot mobile by fisher price. It had different sounds and soft lights. Dd loved it. It had a timer so it would automatically just switch off after an hour or so. She wouldn't sleep without white noise. She's 18 months now and still has sleeping issues and we try white noise and it still works. She snoozes off in an instant.

Sun1983 Wed 05-Oct-16 07:50:09

It's reeeeally low the lullabies, not actual music! I turned it off when I went up to bed last night. Was better for me had an hour here and there , baby slept no better or no worse for turning it off, and I'm feeling a little more settled about him being on his own, just hating having to get up and go across the landing over again during the night. Tbh the worst thing is that he's getting up at 4.50am dead on every morning and won't go bk off at all in his cot. I'm that tired Iv still ended up bringing him in bed for a few hrs .Can't see him ever sleeping through and getting up at a reasonable time!

TeaBelle Wed 05-Oct-16 07:54:24

We just leave a fan switched on in dd's room

thecatsclinkers Wed 05-Oct-16 08:01:25

we leave ours on for around 4 hours - and my DD is 3! she loves it an dit helps her sleep so why not.

we have the doppler ultrasound one though and she is in her own room, so we don't notice it on the baby monitor.

ecofreckle Wed 05-Oct-16 08:14:36

Our 3.5 year old still has white noise, rainfall, all night. If the tablet fecks up over night she shouts us for it to be switched back on. We have experimented with monitor and location of noise and have it so it doesn't drive us crazy.

If you're upset about not going to your baby you can go to your baby. We transitioned at eleven months and always went to her and she did still end up sleeping through. Hoping you find a path that works for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now