Talk

Advanced search

10 week old - fighting sleep, clingy, feeding every 2 hours :(

(18 Posts)
sleepwhatsleep Sat 01-Oct-16 13:59:14

Everyone says I have a dream baby because he sleeps all night, and that is great. But over the last week, during the day he will not sleep for longer than 20 minutes at a time (whether I'm holding him or not), and he's asking for a bottle every 2 hours but only having a few ounces each time. I'm convinced he only sleeps through the night because he's exhausted. He used to sleep through the night (mostly) but then have a nap for 3 hours or so in the middle of the day, but now he just fights it. He's also very clingy - if I leave him on the playmat he's only ok for maybe 10 minutes until he starts to cry. Once he sees me he's fine. My OH works 12 hour shifts so by the time he gets home we're both exhausted. sad

Andromache77 Sat 01-Oct-16 14:03:27

To be honest, you seem to be very lucky, and your baby sounds typical (except for the part where he sleeps through the nigh so early, that's wonderful). I guess that this is either a growth spurt or them becoming more alert and wanting more attention, probably both.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 01-Oct-16 14:05:21

How long is he sleeping for at night?

DomesticAnarchist Sat 01-Oct-16 14:07:39

20 minute naps and feeding every 2 hours seems pretty standard. My very happy 6 month old is the same. (Except he doesn't sleep through).

Some babies like to be held/carried. Invest in a carrier!

marylegs23 Sat 01-Oct-16 14:13:36

i would second getting a carrier or wrap for the day. My DS was exactly the same at around that age and it used to drive me insane! Worse for me was he was up every 40mins-1.5hours at night for a feed as well (ebf) so i couldn't even get my husband to take a shift. the carrier meant i could make some lunch or go for a walk but i had to do all the daytime naps on my chest until it settled down. i can't remember when it passed (hes 21 weeks now and takes 4 daytime naps in his cot and only wakes twice at night for a quick feed) but it was maybe some time around 14 weeks.

sleepwhatsleep Sat 01-Oct-16 14:19:23

He falls asleep anytime between 8-10pm, and then can sleep until 6-7am without asking for a feed. Over the last week or two he has had the odd night where he wakes up for a feed around 2am, takes a few hours to settle off again but will then sleep in the morning.

He used to have one nap of a few hours in the afternoon. Now he doesn't have a proper sleep and seems grumpy. It's just worrying me as he doesn't seem to be having enough sleep.

I've got a carrier but still getting to grips with it. smile

sleepwhatsleep Sat 01-Oct-16 15:08:02

He wants to sleep but he's fighting it. sad

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 01-Oct-16 16:13:53

It's quite amazing that he's sleeping so long at night, most people only dream of babies sleeping through like that!

What you are describing sounds normal in the day tbh.

DomesticAnarchist Sat 01-Oct-16 17:08:44

I dream of babies that sleep that well at night!

LalaLeona Sun 02-Oct-16 20:57:46

Troll?!!

sleepwhatsleep Sun 02-Oct-16 21:12:38

No I'm not trolling. I've been a member for years, thanks.

Yes he sleeps through the night but he usually has a nap during the day. He's suddenly become clingy and cluster feeding when before he would have a nap during the day and feed less often but bigger amounts.

Just because he sleeps through the day doesn't mean he's not having an issue at the minute which has turned out to be teething. So there you go.

turquoise88 Sun 02-Oct-16 21:15:16

You honestly don't have it that bad.

Use your carrier for naps, it it works. Also, keep busy. I found that letting other people have them for a cuddle/sleep took some of the pressure off.

If your baby is sleeping through the night, at least you are still getting some sleep. That makes a huge difference!

You mention your baby only being happy on a playmat for 10 minutes...that's ages! He's only 10 weeks old! How long do you expect them to lie there for?!

turquoise88 Sun 02-Oct-16 21:18:49

Just because he sleeps through the day doesn't mean he's not having an issue at the minute which has turned out to be teething. So there you go.

OP please, people are trying to help you and just being honest.

I know of people who are on their knees because there baby won't be put down to sleep - day or night!

You really must fall into the trap of getting too used to a good thing. Forget what your baby used to do. They don't do it anymore. Things change all the time when you have a baby. Accepting it and doing whatever works is the best way to deal with it.

Good luck.

turquoise88 Sun 02-Oct-16 21:20:17

Argh their

29redshoes Sun 02-Oct-16 21:21:59

Mumsnet is terrible sometimes for this. Almost everything is described as normal baby behaviour and the OP should be grateful for anything at all that's going right.

OP I agree that your baby may not be getting enough sleep, unless he is taking many, many 20 minute naps during the day! As someone else suggested, a sling can help with this. It worked on my DD. Swaddling and dummies helped as well.

Glad you've identified the teething issue though and hope things get a bit better now.

sleepwhatsleep Sun 02-Oct-16 21:35:10

I think accepting that babies habits change is a bit different to a baby suddenly changing and seeming to be more stressed themselves. I know what you're trying to say turquoise but from one day to the next everything from feeding to sleep changed and he does not want to sleep.

Sling seems to be working better, so does teething gel and I've changed to a wider teat as colic seems to have come back.

I am grateful to have a baby that sleeps really well. But this is why I keep quiet in mum and baby groups. It's like you're not allowed to ask for advice on a change because "well it doesn't matter so long as he sleeps through".

BastardBernie Sun 02-Oct-16 23:44:49

It's quite shocking that you've been called a troll. It's exhausting when a baby won't nap for a decent stretch of time in the day, you can never relax and you're left with a dozen half jobs around the house. Well done for the sleeping thru the night, you must be doing something right smile
I think your baby is settling in properly and maybe doesn't know what to do with himself when he does feel tired in the day; there are no cues like a night time that it's time for a rest.
In the next week I think its worth a try to monitor his patterns - what does your baby do after their second feed? Do they rub their eyes and half fall asleep or are they alert and ready for play? If it's the former, why not lie on the bed with him, rub his belly and talk to hiim gently, slowly reducing eye contact and chatter if he's showing signs for sleep. If they're wide awake, lay him down under the playgym and let them thrash it out at the dangling toys.
You need to work out which bottles he seems sleepy after and which he doesn't and adapt play/sleep routines to this.
That's just my little bit, I hope you get it sorted soon and forget about the nasty comments.

LalaLeona Tue 04-Oct-16 20:05:40

I'm so sorry for calling you a troll, I have to admit I didn't read the whole OP properly. I'm probably just months jealous as mine is 7 months and rarely sleeps through! It must be horrible being up all day with the baby with no time to get anything done. When the baby gets a bit more active they may sleep more in the day. I hope things improve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now