Talk

Advanced search

21 month old will not sleep!

(3 Posts)
freethebiscuit Fri 30-Sep-16 20:21:37

Background- my 21 month old had never really been amazing with sleep. She has had quite a few ear infections that have obviously bothered her in the night and we have picked her up/comforted her, put her back in her old bouncer/watched 4am Peppa - whatever it took. She's having a phase now (few weeks) where she doesn't have the ear trouble but is waking up (can be 30 seconds after being put down or a little longer after on the first go then 4 or 5 times a night)screaming blue murder until she's picked up when it immediately stops and there's smiles and play (from her). We have brought her into our bed where she'll go back to sleep then transfer her back but again when she wakes it's a scream fest again. I've tried leaving her to cry it out but am not very good at this and she's made herself sick a couple of times if left a few minutes.Tonight she had about 5 minutes in which time I googled ' how long to let a 21 month old cry it out' & was met with 'you don't, suck it up and cuddle your child' type posts. The guilt! She is waking my older daughter who is then also wanting in our bed and none of us are sleeping. Really don't want us all in one bed! I'm also in my 3rd trimester with number 3. This is supposed to be the easy but before the newborn arrives! She eats well and has one nap late morning for usually an hour-ish. She is active in the day, enjoys her bedtime story and usually seems sleepy when going down. Sorry for long post- just despair at the moment!

Cupkateski Fri 30-Sep-16 20:28:05

I think you need to give yourself a bit of a break. DS 1 was in our bed until he was 3 when DS 2 was born and we moved DS 1 to a mattress on the floor. 8 years later they are very happy well adjusted kids who sleep well, love staying away from home and do well at school. Some kids just don't like sleeping by themselves when they're small. Make a plan that gets you the most rest and ignore any criticism.

freethebiscuit Fri 30-Sep-16 20:32:28

Thanks I felt better even just ranting it all out on text there. The impending newborn situation is what's stressing me most and the fact that we're all so grumpy tired and doesnt feel like a happy situation when it comes to night times at the mo. Then morning comes and all is forgiven and coffee helps. I know it's not as bad as some poor posters have it. Just needed the rant shock she's currently asleep on my bed and I'll attempt a transfer soon...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now